Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeka0801

best tool to cut off bamboo branches(m)

teeka0801(7aNoVa)
14 years ago

I have bought all sorts of pruning tools and can't seem to find one that will work well cutting bamboo branches off of the culms.

Also, which is the best way to cut down a culm (1-2 inches in diameter?)? I have a hand saw but that is just not working.

thanks.teeka

Comments (18)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

For branches, a high quality hand pruner like Felco. For culms, a lopping pruner, and best if it's a racheting model.

• Mary Palmer
    14 years ago

If you are trying to limb up a bamboo, I like to use a fine toothed Japanese pull saw. I lightly undercut the branch right where it joins the culm and then snap off the branch from the top. It leaves a really nice clean smooth finish with no stub. Don't undercut too deep, just a little.

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

should I get a FELCO lopping pruner but doesn't seem to have the ratchet feature?

Other brands have the ratcheting,but they are not the FELCO brand.

I saw a FELCO lopper that cuts up to 1.8 inches and there's only that one model that cuts that type of diameter, but not ratcheting.

Pls advise.thanks.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Felco makes high quality tools, and it's worth it to have one of their hand pruners as it will last you many years. While I'm sure their lopping pruners are great, that's a lot of money for a lopper. Here is the inexpensive, non-Felco, racheting model I have that has worked fine for me with bamboo and tree branches.

Here is a link that might be useful: HF lopper

• ivillage_rex
    14 years ago

Hey Gil, have you been to Kubota garden? I saw quite a few different types of bamboo species growing there!

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG, all the $$$$ I spent on those HD pruners, what a waste and this one is AMAZING!

I even found a left-handed version and I was pruning away today...this is going to change my life and my entire relationship w/ my bamboo:)

I also bought the loppers you recommended and I'm waiting to get those and try them out...I desperately need to cut some culms down that are just too close to my neighbor's fence.

Thanks so much for bringing me up a notch in terms of garden tools.
    teeka

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

teeka-
    Glad to hear that. I'm quite frugal, but sometimes you need to spend the money for a quality tool. Now, just learn how to sharpen the blade with a sharpening stone and touch it up every couple of months, and you won't have to replace the cutting blade for a long time.

The ratcheting pruners take a little practice to use: at first my wife didn't like them, but, once she got the hang of it, I couldn't get them away from her...

• teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I *LOVE* them!!!!!

OMG, my life is forever changed in the garden.

I cut down a dozen culms and chopped them into manageable sizes (and my two lab puppies LOVE to chew on them,too!) and after 2 1/2 yrs of not knowing how I was going to manage my bamboo, I feel like I have control over my garden once again.

Of course, ideally I'd get to the culms I didn't want when they are just coming up, but they come up so fast I don't notice them till they are 20' tall and leaning into the neighbor's yard.

Thanks again, now I just need to keep them razor sharp..I guess I'll get online to learn how to do that.

teeka

• missmary33
    13 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ASDfcP56II&feature=player_embedded

clip on how to cut branches:) enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboobill how to cut branches

• new2zone9a
    13 years ago

I prefer either a chain saw or a bat'leth.

As to the Bamboobill how to cut branches video...

Socks with flip flops on the job? I don't know who to alert first: the fashion police or OSHA.

• mitsieroscoe
    13 years ago

OMG!!! you have got to get the BLACK & DECKER
    18V Electric Cordless Alligator Lopper. This is PERFECT for bamboo. I do not think that there could be any other cutter out there that can even compare! I got mine at Home Depot and LOVE IT!!!

• alan_l
    13 years ago

Perfect for bamboo how? Removing branches (the topic of this thread)? Cutting culms off at ground level?

• tcstoehr
    13 years ago

An 18 volt reciprocating saw is *very* useful for cutting off culms at ground level. I prefer loppers in general, but sometimes you don't have the proper angle and clearances necessary to spread the handles and close them down.

• ML Ng
    3 years ago

Help please!! I made the mistake of rushing to plant a bamboo hedge that grew twice as tall as I was told. I spent the last two days trying to find a lightweight corded reciprocating saw. But 7 lbs is still too heavy and bulky. I will probably need to spend 3 times as much for a small cordless saw. Even then, I agree with tcstoehr:

“...sometimes you don't have the proper angle and clearances necessary“ to remove a branch.

Can you please tell me where to buy your favorite bamboo pruners?

Thank you.

• kudzu9
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just be aware that, if you top a bamboo: 1) it will look butchered and unnatural, and none of the topped culms will ever bush out or grow higher. If you really feel you need to do this anyway, never trim bamboo with a power tool as this will remove parts of branches and give a raggedy appearance to the top. When I have a need to remove branches or take out culms selectively, I use a good pair of hand pruners, like Felco, and a ratcheting lopper to remove thicker growth.

• ML Ng
    3 years ago

unfortunately, I need to because the hedge grew to 50 feet instead of the advised 30 feet, shaking messy bamboo leaves & twigs everywher! Kudzu9, which Felco pruners do you use that can cut 1-1.5 inch diameter bamboo? And also, which ratcheting lopper do you recommend?

• kudzu9
    3 years ago

I use the Felco pruners on smaller culms and branches. I can’t find the brand name on my old, ratcheting lopper, but you can look at reviews on Amazon to see what ones get the best ratings. A ratcheting lopper is definitely preferable in this application to standard ones.

• Kyleigh Lynch
    2 years ago

The best bamboo cutting tool depends on your needs as a gardener. I would recommend the Saboten snippers as it is relatively versatile and reliable in gardening and can work in just about any application from pruning to trimming. This article might help you find the tool that best suits your preference and needs, check it out: https://www.mechanicalcaveman.com/best-tool-to-cut-bamboo-review-way-lucky-dried-replant/

Sponsored