Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachelcy

Bambusa textilis seeds - germination

rachelcy
17 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has had success germinating the Bambusa textilis seeds being sold on ebay by Marina (from Germany).

I have successfully germinated other bamboo seeds, but have not had any luck with these.

If you have managed to germinate them, could you share your secret?

Thanks,

Rachel

Comments (9)

• hello_c_j_here
    17 years ago

Hi... no I havent... but maybe telling us what steps you did for germinating these we can make suggestions.
    Take care

• stockwell
    17 years ago

I bought seeds from this seller a year ago and they were absolute crap! My germination rate was 2 out of 50 seeds, and was offensive when I questioned the viability of the seeds. Don't buy from this seller.

• rachelcy
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My problem is that here in Israel almost noone grows bamboo. So there is one (yes 1) nursery that sells B. Vulgaris, Phyllostacis Aurea & Nigra and that is it! So if I want more bamboo, I need to grow from seed. And who has seed? It is so hard to find. So I have no choice but to buy on e-bay. About my method: I have found that when seeds are viable, there is almost nothing you can do to STOP them germinating... Anyway, here is what I did: Soaked seeds in warm water overnight. Sprinkle on top of loose earth in a small pot. Cover with a bit more earth. Water well until earth is all wet. Cover loosely with a plastic bag, leave on windowsill that gets afternoon sun. 5 days later I get the first shoots. This system, that worked so well for other species, just didn't work for B. textilis. I managed to germinate B. lako from Marina in germany (at about 30% germination rate) in this manner.

• dennismares
    17 years ago

I had 3 germinate from a batch of 20, but near 100% with other kinds (lako). Think the seed is just not that fresh. My methods, is using a 50-25-25 mixture of peat, vermiculite and perlite, soaking the seeds in 80F+ water for a day. keep them in a domed tray in my carport and voila 3-5 days later things come up. I germinated these particular ones during our summer in which we have near constant temp of 90F with high levels of humidity, ideal conditions (as evidenced by succes of other seed).

I am not sure that the bamboo seed sold by the German lady is correctdly marked or always fresh. My Lako seeds looked a lot like the common den. strictus seed, and the textilis-if I recall correctly looked a lot like Bambusa Arundinacea. Only time will tell if we're getting the real deal.

• hedonic
    15 years ago

Hi everyone,

After reading these all other great posts here in gardenweb, I think that's very important that we get an update from all you that are growing bamboos from seeds(especially those from ebay - that German Lady).

Are the seeds mislabeled?
    Are they mainly D. Strictus Seeds?

Please send feed-back
    Thanks in advance
    Vítor (vmamos@gmail.com)

• Scott Wallace
    15 years ago

I never bought seeds from that person so I can't really vouch for them.

As for other seeds purchased several years ago, yes, they were true to what I bought...strictus and moso.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo seed germination tips, pics and more

• conejov
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link webgator I'm actually waiting for some seeds to come in from Germany, for bambusa ventricosa. I think this method of germinating will possibly work better. But I would like to know the results as to how long does it take to grow, How long will it take before I can put it into the ground,

• kudzu9
    15 years ago

conejov-
    It's a common mistake, but you should be made aware that bringing bamboo plants, rhizomes, or seeds into the U.S. without a permit and a mandatory one year quarantine is a violation of Federal regulations. You may receive your seeds, you may have them confiscated, or you may be contacted by USDA agents. I know it's tempting, because seeds for certain bamboo species only seem available from foreign sources, but it may save you some hassle if you buy from domestic sources in the future.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABS - Quarantine

• conejov
    15 years ago

kUDZU9-

I was very fortunate to receive my seeds right after posting this. I havent attempted to plant them yet since I want to get some composted peat moss, OR some composted cowmanure. then I will "green house them by covering the planter with plastic.

Sponsored