Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
entm

New to Bamboo, ready to jump in though

entm
13 years ago

Greetings,

I have about 8 acres of land in GA, half woods and half pasture. The prior owner kept horses for several years. We have no livestock, and I want something growing besides grass.

My mother-in-law has some Golden bamboo at the back of her property. I have planted three root balls at the top of the field near the road to act as a screen.

I want to plant some timber bamboos in other areas of the field. I am considering P. makinoi, bambusoides, and nigra, Henon. The only consideration I have is where the power lines run across the field.

I plan on using the mower, and possibly a 12 inch trench around the different varieties to control their spread.

Will I be able to control them?

I would like to try Moso as well, but I understand it will take many years to develop. Is it worth the wait?

Any advice for a newbie is appreciated.

Thanks,

Entm

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Welcome!
    It should not be difficult to control your bamboo. Since you have a lot of area, you don't have the concerns people do on small, urban lots. While mowing will control new shoots, it will not stop the rhizomes from expanding outwards. Most of us with running bamboo control it by "rhizome pruning" which simply means chopping off the roots when they go too far. Bamboo rhizomes usually run no deeper than 4"-12", and can be chopped through fairly easily. I usually just probe the ground with the pointy end of the pickaxe a couple of times a year and chop off anything that is roaming too far outside the perimeter I want to maintain. Usually the chopped off piece can left in the ground to die, unless it has been there for a while and gotten established. To be on the safe side, I usually use the pickaxe to pry out the pieces. Alternatively, you could trench all the way around where your groves are going to be, and install a specialty plastic called bamboo barrier. However, this can be a lot of work (you usually trench down at least 24") and the barrier is not cheap (about $2.50-$3.00 a running foot). If I were you -- since it sounds like you want to grow some nice, larger groves -- I would not bother to go to the trouble and expense of putting in barrier...if you are willing to practice regular maintenance.

As for the moso, it's a great bamboo -- beautiful, strong, and large -- and I encourage you to plant some. It's the largest of the hardy bamboos, and it is well-suited to where you live. It will size up nicely over time, and mine hasn't grown any more slowly than my other runners.

Here is a link where you can check out photos of bamboo and their characteristics. Have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb

• stevelau1911
    13 years ago

Bamboos are much easier to control than most people think especially with the phyllostachys species that generally make large rhizomes that run in the first few inches of soil.

As far as moso, I don't know where it got the reputation to grow slow, but mine went from a 1 gallon 2ft tall culm in 2008 to a 5-6ft tall grove of over 100culms that is very bushy. Here's the link to my moso growing thread, and it does get leaf burned in zone 6 too.

I also have 1-5 gallon mosos that I plan to start selling around mid august, or whenever they the look well filled out.

Here is a link that might be useful: moso growing log

• entm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the link. It is nice to see what I can look forward to over the next few years. I expect any plants I put in the ground to do well in zone 7. (As long as I keep them watered.)

• stevelau1911
    13 years ago

If they are rated as marginal for zone 7, then simply a solid plastic tarp to put over the entire plant will keep them evergreen over the coldest months. Culms pop right back up in the spring so it is OK to tie them down and protect them completely.

Otherwise it should be much easier for you to grow timber bamboos in your climate.