Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too much bamboo

Posted by xris_2008 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 15:22

I have over an acre of bamboo -- thirty+ feet high, three inches in diameter and taking over. I have a gazeebo I can't even get to anymore.

How do I get rid of it?

Are there people who want bamboo?

Otherwise, I will just have to go in with a dozer and herbicide. But such a waste...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too much bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 22:51

Herbicides don't work with bamboos, so don't poison your property...stick with the bulldozer.

And, yes, there are people who want bamboo, but you're probably not going to find enough of them to remove an acre's worth.

o

Where are you located? You should be able to find some people willing to take some off of your hands but as Kudzu9 said an acre is a lot of bamboo.

o

Put an ad on your local Craigslist for Free Bamboo, there are lots of people who want it. You probably won't be able to give it all away, but at least it won't all be wasted =)

o

what a gift , I'm here in Ashland looking to harvest 130-150 green bamboo culms for use as shade structures for the Mystic Garden Party healing arts music festival. MGP is July 24th -27th. I have a truck and trailer all ready . where r u ?
call me 415-336-3776

o

I may want some too. Where do you live ???
Rich

o

I would take some off your hands also. where are you. would prob have to ship in mail. do you know what variety it is? email me and we can figure it out. I can supply you with boxes for mailing. thanks J

o

What types of bamboo do you have?

o

We would love to take a bunch of it if you aren't too terribly far away. Where are you located?

o

Cut every culm down to 3" and paint the stump with Roundup(or equivalent) concentrate, as per label directions. This will kill bamboo.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 1:45

Steve-
With all due respect, have you ever tried using Roundup on bamboo? In my experience, it will not work. If it were that easy to eliminate established bamboo, people wouldn't get so frantic about it and its supposed invasiveness.

o

PLEASE-------------- if you have any left, I'd love a small piece. Where are you at?I am in Buffalo, Ny area. Thanks

o

ROUNDUP!!! Ummm Can you Say "NOT" boys and girls!! ;-)

Sorry for the Sarcasm...

Read so many fruitless attempts to remove bamboo... no idea why they'd even think such a thing... :(

Forgive them for they know not what they do!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here