Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo choices

Posted by bradbrad76 South Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 16:21

I have a south facing balcony that gets lots of sun all day long. I was thinking I would plant some bamboo in containers on either side of the balcony to block out my side views and possibly enclose the entire balcony. My problem is that I know nothing about bamboo or how to properly cultivate it. Does anyone have any suggestions on varieties to use and if this is even possible. If you don't think it's a good idea, what would you recommend? Please help me, I want a beautiful balcony. Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo choices

OK. First of all, how high up is you balcony and how much taller than you balcony do you want to be enclosed?

From the info you have already put forth, I think you would be better off with a clumper, and you are in the perfect zone for a tropical clumper.

The nicer ones that would probably work best would be Bambusa Textilis and all of it's forms.

Right now I am thinking you would be best off with Bambusa Textilis var. 'Gracilis'

Look here:
http://bambooweb.info/ShowPictures2.php?BooID=72&Desc=&Loc=&Match=AND&Cat=*&s=27

That is before it has reached it's fully mature height but it is close.

If pruned this can be one of the most beautiful bamboos. Even if not pruned it looks great.

It get 30 ft tall, reaching a fairly small diameter of 1.3" and is cold hardy to 18 F.

It is one of the smaller textilis forms.

take care,

-Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here