Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo identification - zone 6

Posted by secretest 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 16:21

Can someone please help identify this bamboo?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo identification - zone 6

Need a closer look at it. Looks more like an ornamental grass.

A closer look could tell us what kind.

This post was edited by gigman7 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 11:12

o

Hm, ok - I was worried that might be the case. I will see if I can get a better shot, closer to the culms. Might be a few days before I can get back there but I will try!

Thanks!

o

It does not look like a bamboo at all to me. Looks like an Ornamental grass of some kind. Post it on that forum and they will help you in the identification.

o

Hm, really?
When I had a look at it, I saw internodes and what looked like a rhizome poking out of the ground, with the leaves (with the fuzzy outer sheath) all wrapped around like a baby bamboo culm.

Do grasses also have those qualities? I may be able to get a closer shot, if that would help be more certain, but like i said above, i will need some time before I can get there.

If it really is not a bamboo, darn - looking for a bamboo and liked the long leaves on this guy... :)

Thanks!

o

Yes, this is the exact same feature of a grass. As a matter of fact, the bamboo is classified as a grass. Same exact thing.

This post was edited by gigman7 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 13:25

o

Think of it this way. All bamboo are 'grasses', but not all grasses are bamboo (Superset/subset sort of relationship deal).

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 14:05

It could well be Johnson Grass (a weed)

o

No, it's not Johnson Grass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here