Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iain42

Project Privacy Screen preparation soil barrier etc

iain42
16 years ago

I have to do some work before I put in my 70ft long by 8ft wide privacy screen in place. I have to replace my sewer line before I plant this puppy as it needs to be done anyway but while I have a tractor on hand! I should go ahead and have him dig the barrier trench. This leads me to a series of questions.

1) Soil? What would be best sandy loam? The generic topsoil or should I just mix some sand into what I have? I was thinking I would rent a tiller as well.

2) I picked Nigra bamboo for this local. Is it safe to plant in Summer or Fall?

3) How many bamboo plants should I start with. I am impatient so I was thinking about 10-15.

4) What fertilizer can I use? I have been using fish emulsion on my banana trees and elephant ears.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you

Comments (7)

• fluffy_bamboo
    16 years ago

My trench is 24 feet long by 3 feet wide. I only dug the trench and when the barrier was in place I dug the holes for the bamboo. I only added some sort of potting soil around the bamboo itself. I placed 3 large Black Bamboo in that area and they don't have any problems spreading. I just feed them with Miracle Grow liquid. I read somewhere that they like an acid soil and food that is for Camilla & Azelia's. Good luck. They are beautiful.

• PRO
    iain42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I realize you are in a different zone but how fast do they spread? How many do you think I should plant?

Thank you for the advice!

• inversa
    16 years ago

nigra planted on 5 foot spacing should close the gap in year 3 if not year 2 in your area. ideally plant 2 rows with staggered 5 foot spacing and the gap closes faster although that would be more like 30 plants instead of 15.

although you'll have a screen faster using lots of plants the problem with using barrier and lots of plants is that it will very quickly become 'rootbound' and then begin to look shabby. if you must use the barrier you might be better off starting with fewer plants and just be more patient. nigra tends to lean over particularly when young, so it may not be ideal if you need a tall screen.

• PRO
    iain42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That is alot of plants! It seems everytime I pick a Bamboo there is a drawback I hadn't considered. I do need a decent size screen. I want an interesting looking Bamboo and Nigra seems as unique as they come. Is there another unique or interesting bamboo I should also consider.

I had also decided to purchase from Lewis Bamboo as they are very close to Little Rock.

Thanks for the advice.

• PRO
    iain42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I have another question. With running bamboo is it possible to not use a barrier and just control it with maintenance. When a shoot comes up in an undesired location can I transplant to another location?

• srolle1
    16 years ago

it is usually better to transplant during fall after the culms are full size or early spring before they shoot. so, yes you can with most types of bamboo. spade aroound the shoot and leave it in the ground for a couple weeks to help prevent shock. come back later and gently pry out the area you spaded. have the new location previously dug and get it into the ground asap. water right away and treat like any other transplant.

you could try digging an 8" deep trench around where you'd like to keep the bamboo and then cut off all the running rhizomes that try to cross it.

• PRO
    iain42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I measured my backyard to be more precise and I was a little off. 56ft long by 9ft wide but going to make it more crescent shaped. Decided to do the barrier as it is only $250. I will plant about 8 nigra.

Has anyone used Lewis Bamboo?

Thanks.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting