Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sagapo1984

fargesia robusta newbie

sagapo1984
13 years ago

Trying to start a green screen of this planting this summer

using 1 gallon specimens. Weather unseasonably warm for a month now. Plants get sun 6 hrs per day. New shoots yellowing,

not sure if the problem is too little or too much water, too little or too much sun?

I try to water every other day.

Appreciate any advice on how to get it started,fertilize?

thganks in advance, Sagapo

Comments (7)

• subtropix
    13 years ago

I used to grow my Fargesia in an area receiving noon and pm sun (to create a screen). They were not happy so I moved them to dappled AM sun--big difference. Fargesia and other mountain bamboos have a bit of an issue with high heat (especially at night)--one reason they have problems in the southeast. It has just been too hot to the liking of these mountain bamboo and your exposure sounds hot. You may have to go with a differ plant screen in the current area and relocate the Fargesia to a shadier/cooler locale. In the area that I originally had the bamboo in, I decided to put in a fence and then establised a hedge of boxwood. Good luck!

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I concur with the points njoasis makes. The only other thing I can suggest is plenty of water. It's hard to over-water bamboo. Once a day in your weather may be the MINIMUM you should do....

• sagapo1984
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks njoasis and kudzu9. Since sun may be
    the culprit and/or underwatering, I will follow
    your advice. Any suggestions for a clumping,sun tolerant
    variety thats hardy to zone 6?

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Sometimes it takes a while for newly planted bamboo to settle in and get established, especially in hot weather. They may perk up yet if you keep them watered. However, I am a little concerned about winter since you are at the limits of hardiness for robusta in Zone 6. If these bamboo don't work out for you, you could try a hardier clumper like Fargesia nitida or one of its cultivars.

• alan_l
    13 years ago

It's hard to over-water bamboo unless there is poor drainage and the soil stays soggy. Especially with a new small plant. Does under-watering result in yellow culms?

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

When new shoots get yellowish, they usually have stopped growing and have died for whatever reason. When mature culms change from green to yellow, it may just be due to sun exposure. However, when a mature culm becomes tan and the surface is "flat-looking," it is either dying or getting toward the end of its expected life.

• d_garden
    13 years ago

I have tried growing various fargesias here in SE Michigan and the problem has always been summer heat. The only one I have had success with is Fargesia 'Rufa' - after 2 years in the ground, my Rufas have been growing like crazy here with some fertilizer and a little water, and they don't seem to mind the heat at all.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz