Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with container bamboo project

Posted by poorowner Northern CA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 17:12

I have a space about 8' x 1.5' and I would like to build a rectangular trough to grow a container friendly bamboo. It will serve as a screen to hide my shed somewhat.

I am thinking to build this rectangular planter with redwood or cedar, any tips in building it? I will probably use redwood 2x4 for the frame, and cedar planks to cover the outside, 3" deck screws. Is that enough to hold up to certain bamboos?

I am of course also looking for a cultivar that will be ok for container and grow to 5-8' ideally..

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with container bamboo project

Redwood will rot with dirt touching and regardless of rot will allow the plant to run unless it's 2 to 2 1/2 feet down plus has a poly rhizome barrier. I'd jst purchase a rhizome barrier. Check your local roofing supply company for commercial grade poly to use as a barrier. Rgds

o

Is this to be a "raised bed" or an actual "container" with a closed bottom?

I assumed the latter, and would recommend cedar wood for the building material.

Josh

o

sorry for not being clear, the project is a standalone container sitting on concrete slab. Potting soil will be used instead of heavy soil.

Does cedar last longer than redwood?

We have put a pot of bamboo in a 15 gallon nursery tub and it grew very well.

What about plywood construction or use plywood as a bottom?

o

You don't need a bottom at all. If it's sitting on a concrete slab, all's you need are sides, like a raised bed.

As for constructin materials, you could used treated wood, or that polymer/wood composite stuff used as decking. Or, you could use those interlocking retaining wall blocks; that's what I use (though a little spendy $$$).

Cheers!

o
Revision . . .

On second look, forget the retaining wall blocks; your space is too narrow to accomodate them.

And another thing; your proposal will act like a container rather than a raised bed on top of native soil. As such, there will be no natural wicking action from underlying soil. You will have to pay close attention to your soil constituents to ensure longterm health of the planting. Peat-based commercial soils in containers (which yours will be) will badly compact over time, and drainage will suffer. Accordingly, if it were me, I'd be making my own soil mix. And even then, over time, you will probably find that you will need to remove some soil periodically, and replace with new stuff; kind of like re-potting a container planting.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here