Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

I found out how to 'green up' my bamboo for free

mersiepoo
12 years ago

We have bamboo that is on old farmland, the soil is terrible though, as they had put a gas pipeline through years ago (bringing up rocky shale type soil to the surface), and people had cut hay on it for decades and never 'improved' the soil. So, basically it is crappy and has a nitrogen deficiency. I have bamboo that has had yellow leaves for years, and finally my hubby figured out a good way to green it up fairly fast- just pee on it! It really is working too, the lower leaves are finally turning a healthy shade of green, the upper branches should follow soon.

Comments (12)

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

I think that's just your husband's rationale for why he needs to drink more beer!

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL! Nah, I'm the one peeing on it, lol! It also seems to work great for the tobacco plants too.

• pcan
    12 years ago

That is the funniest thing ever. Shhhhhh don't tell my DH or he will be peeing on my bamboo every chance he gets. ;)

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, my bamboo is saying 'more pee please'! I'm trying to get hubs to pee on it too! He sure did green up the grass around here too. ;)

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Bamboo really likes holly tone.

• Hunter_M
    12 years ago

This post is disgusting,lol.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Once my bamboo grove is a little larger, I'll be able to pee in there in privacy.... ;-)

Josh

• kudzu9
    12 years ago

I'm planning to invite my friends over for a pee party....

• pcan
    12 years ago

I actually did a little research on the subject and found that prior to indoor plumbing and chemical fertilizers, people used to pee on their crops. It works nicely and is a great fertilizer for your plants. You should pee directly on the soil around the plant rather than storing your pee for a later use (gross). And don't pee on any food plants within 4 weeks of harvest. But other than those simple rules pee as you fit. LOL

I have asked my husband and son in law to pee on my bamboo and various other trees and plants. They seem to enjoy it... I think it reminds them of camping.

mersiepoo, thanks for enlightening me to the splendors of pee! ;)

• gardenbug
    12 years ago

Good thing it isn't called BAM..POOH!

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anytime 'pee' can, lol! I just pour the pee right on the bamboo, they don't complain. I did find out that not all plants like golden showers however, it turned my rose leaves brown! Ferns, pineapples, beans, citrus seem to all love my whiz though. Oh, and gardenias doo too.

Ha, Kudzu and Cadence you are terrible, lol! Pee party, that's a good idea!

I love my bamboo, it really IS a great privacy screen for 'fertilizing' it Josh, lol!

• junglegina
    12 years ago

Bamboo is a grass so nitrogen is the way to green it. My best fertilizer is horse manure from a local stable. You don't even have to compost it first as the bamboo can take it "hot", although composting it first will cut down on the flies. :) So yes, bam-poo is the way to go.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!