Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shade bamboo?

Posted by scott24 OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 08 at 17:36

Just wondering if any of you know of a bamboo that could survive a north exposure, no sun. Prefer it to be clumping type. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shade bamboo?

Yes there are some. I don't have time to fully answer right now but if nobody answers before I am back (2 hrs) I will be glad to tell you all the species I know that can survive full shade.

-Steve

o

EEK.. Now that I have searched it, there aren;t really any that can survive full shade all day. Are you sure the spot doesn't get a little bit.

If it does, look here.

http://bambooweb.info/BrowseSSL.php?Units=M&Sort=Gs&Genus=All&DiaValue=+&HtValue=+&TempCompare=%3C%3D&TempValue=+&SunCompare=%3C%3D&SunValue=+2&Clumper=1&Match=AND&Button=GO

Look under the shade column. U is for unknown so don;t trust that those are shade plants.

2 Is very brief sunlight.

-Steve

o

Large leaf japonica does best in shade of the runners I grow and is the least invasive, tends towards clumpiness, is drought tolerant and a great screener(15-18' tall).

o

I have a few clumping bamboos that are growing with morning sun but the area is also shaded by an overhead oak and a large shed (on the south side). It seems that even the early morning sun makes these bamboos leaves fold, so I think they would make do without much sun at all. These clumpers are the following: Fargesia murielae, Fargesia robusta, and Fargesia rufa. Also have a specimen of Borinda angustissima that is an extremely attractive clumper (very fine, delicate-looking leaves). All are growing in the same location I described and should be fairly shade tolerant (all have a problem with too much sun in warm summer areas). Good luck!

o

where are you located? I'll have to look at the historic climate in this area and let you know. The South is the best region to grown bamboo, and it doesn't matter if it's in the shade or not so long as it gets some direct sun light during the day you'll be okay.

Here is a link that might be useful: bamboo poles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here