Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millerthyme_gw

Challenge! __Bamboo Screening For Tricky Exposure

millerthyme
14 years ago

Hi All! -- I'm hoping someone may have some suggestions for what type of bamboo I could use for an area with tricky exposure.

The area is on the N/W side of a multi-level building (lofts). It is 9' by 20', with the longer length running along the N/W line. This area is between two buildings, and there is an opening between the buildings, through which the sun will shine down directly on the bamboo for a few hours during the summer months, but not likley much at all during the winter. Also, one end of the planting area faces E to some degree, and will get hit with AM sun....meaning the bamboo at the far end, will get some morning sun, but the interior bamboo will not get much if any AM sun.

The bamboo needs to screen a window that starts at about 14' above ground and ends at about 18' above ground. Bamboo shouldn't be too much taller than that if possible. The bamboo should also be a clumping variety.

Any ideas? Is this impossible? If so...any suggestions for something else that may work in a narrow area, that would also have a modern look to it?

Thanks so very much!

Comments (3)

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

You'll probably have to go with one of the Bambusas. How erect does it need to be?

The lower parts of the plant probably won't get much sun, so once the plant grows to maturity, the lower culms may not have many branches and leaves, and thus may not give you a solid visual barrier.

To ensure thickness, you may want to plant a taller variety, then top the culms(once they mature) to your desired height, which will make the foliage more dense.

Look Here---> Bambusa

Kt

• millerthyme
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks kentuck_8b for yoru input. It needs to be fairly errect, as the buildings are close to the planting area, and the bamboo should not lean into the buildings.

The Bambusa's are mostly sun/part sun, correct? This area is kind of like....part-sun/shade, I'm thinking....with the part sun coming in the form of several hours of direct sun peeking through the overhead space between the buildings in teh summer, and also hitting the bamboo planted at teh edge, in the AM's. Any specific choices come to mind?

Thanks!

• kentuck_8b
    14 years ago

The bambusas do well here even in mostly shade, but they grow taller and a bit less dense in more shade.

The most erect bambusas that I grow are B. oldhamii and B. beecheyana var. pubescens, but both get quite huge, so if you did plant them, you would have to top them to keep them to size. Once a culm is topped, it will remain at that height for the remainder of it's life...only yearling growing culms will grow taller.

B. dolichomerithalla 'Silverstripe', B. eutuldoides 'Viridivittata', and B. pervariabilis 'Viridistriatus' all are beautiful coloured bamboos and grow quite upright here, but then I have them planted close together which may be making them grow more erect. B. chungii is also erect, but not dense.

Also, some of the textilis sub-species would do well though they lean outward somewhat.

Just a thought...what I do to many of my bambusas, is to loop a rope around the clump early after shooting season and cinch it up tight. After the culms harden off, the rope can be removed(or let in place). I do this on clumps near walkways or buildings and it works fine but may be more work than you want to do.

Kt

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations