Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need some help knowing this plant please

Posted by delta_1 western Canada (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 18:38

Not sure but was told at the nursery that this was a bamboo
I have had it growing for 10 yrs or so and this year it never came back
I would like to know the name if possible as I would like to find a replacement for it
The leaves were long and skiny and it grew up to 8 or 9 feet tall
in the winter all you could see was the stems and they felt hard and brittle
This is the only picture I have of it hope it gives you and idea as to what it is
Thanks a lot ladies
whoops I have posted a picture of the leaves in the gallery as I thought I could add it here to this post/but obviously I can't

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need some help knowing this plant please

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 3, 09 at 13:59

Without a picture, it's hard to make any guess. However, I suspect it's not bamboo. Bamboo culms always become hard and woody within 2 months or so after coming up, and, even if they lose their leaves and die during a cold winter, the culms remain in place, and would do so for several years. If you cut them down, you would need a heavy duty pruner. Almost all bamboo culms are hollow inside. Also, bamboo culms have branches and the leaves are attached to the branches, not the central stalk.

So...does this sound like what you had or not? If you want to post a picture, you can put an URL in the box below the message box, or you can go to the gallery and upload it there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here