Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bayarea17

Please help ID - Golden Bamboo or Alphonse Karr?

bayarea17
16 years ago

Hi,

Just bought this bamboo from a local nursery. I was told that it's golden bamboo. But looking at it closely, could this be Alphonse Karr instead? Thanks for all your help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden or Alphonse Karr bamboo

Comments (12)

• southlatropical
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of some bamboo I recieved in a trade. It is supposed to be Golden Hawaiian bamboo. The person that sent it said it gets up to 3 inches in diameter.

{{gwi:415667}}

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

My Alphonse Karr doesn't look like either one of those photos (purchased from reputable source).

• kevip711
    16 years ago

A pic of the leaves or the whole plant would help. Doesnt look like AK to me either though, not sure about golden either

• inversa
    16 years ago

i do believe that bayarea's plant is a karr, it is a bamboo with a variety of looks, mine is currently totally pink with green stripes, your looks very much like a karr.

i think southla does have hawaiian golden or bambusa vulgaris vittata, it looks like a branch cutting or perhaps just a small culm. these 2 species can look very much alike and only mature plants or shoots will tell for certain but i think you each have a different bamboo from one another.

• fluffy_bamboo
    16 years ago

It looks more like my Karr than my Golden.

• bayarea17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies. Maybe it's a Karr, maybe it's a Golden Hawaiian...whatever it is, I still love it! I just hope that it likes its new home :)

• fredgpops
    16 years ago

Bay area has AK - it has a slight red or pink tinge on young culms. The guy who sold it for Golden shd be taken to task. Hawaiian Gold, or Vittata, has a much lower min temp theshold. If you get around 21F it will probably die if not protected. Bay Area - Ak is prone to aphids. Put ant stakes around your plant as ants farm the aphids in the branches nearest the culms. You will see black, sticky stuff (the stuff ants eat) form if the ants/aphids appear. Email me direct if you have questions. I'm in Scotts Valley. Rgds

• Scott Wallace
    16 years ago

You will know either way in a few years. If it's AK the culms will still be around an inch or so in diameter. If it's Vittata they will be well over two inches!

Here is a link that might be useful: Bambusa vulgaris vittata

• bayarea17
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi,

The pinkish color on the culm is why I thought it could be AK. Attached is a picture - since I'm new to bamboo, is this what is meant by pinkish culm on AK?

Fred, are you located near Bamboo Giant?

Can AK thrive in partial/dappled sun?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinkish culm?

• fredgpops
    16 years ago

I'm about 12 miles North of Bamboo Giant. I have an acre in the foothills of the SC Mtns right off HW17, in Scotts Valley. Have around 100 species of bamboo in ground and in pots. Drop by. Email me direct for directions, etc. If less than 50 % sun AK probably won't get max size nor will it be real colorful. If you like the pink color, Spectabilis and S. yashadake kimmei also have that attribute if they get sun. Rgds

• kevip711
    16 years ago

That pic looks like AK, same look as the one I have..

• countrynest
    16 years ago

This 'boo I have thought is A.K. {{gwi:418274}}

I got this "Golden 'boo" in a trade. Felix
    {{gwi:418276}}

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler