Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winsorw

Any one have experience with Sinobambusa intermedia?

winsorw
13 years ago

Hi,

I'm thinking of ordering Sinobambusa intermedia but was wondering if anyone has any insight on this one i.e. is it more susceptible to mites, etc. Another word, should I try it? any concern? I'm in zone 8. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

Don't have any experience with it, but it should do ok in your Zone. As for mites, I don't think they have preferences: if they are active in your area, they'll love whatever bamboo you plant.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks kudzu9. I think I'll try it. The reason I asked because I have about 15 varieties of bamboo and P. bambusoides 'all gold' seems to be the only one with a lot of mites (its leaves look like variegated). Others don't have as much.

• kudzu9
    13 years ago

I've got quite a few varieties of bamboo, too, and I have yet to find any that are mite resistant. I have had various infestations at times where the leaves on certain bamboo looked worse than others, but I attributed that to the fact that the worst looking leaves were where the mites got started. There may be differences in how discriminating the mites are, but I've yet to see a pattern. I do know that a few of my bamboo appear to be more aphid-prone or more sooty-mold-prone, so anything is possible

By the way, I think that is a nice looking bamboo and I wish you luck with it. I just didn't want you to get it solely on the basis that it was mite resistant.

• winsorw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, understood. I got an arrow bamboo that you suggested to me in another question and so far it seems to be doing well in shade.

• captjay
    12 years ago

When asked if Intermedia is a good choice..? I am a bamboo farmer in Zone 9.
    I have 12 varieties and have 3 Intermedia that I divide. Intermedia remains some of the most hardy and prolific bamboo I have and continues to be one of my favorites. It is a very easy plant and grows to 35' with 3 bags of 1/3 miracle grow soil, 1/3 Black Cow, 1/3 peat moss. I throw in 2 handfuls of slow release fertilizer to start and when it shows new shoots in 6 months they get fed again and every 2 months. The real trick is Merit WP as a pest problem solution. I have 100% success and think you would enjoy some very easily.