Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Bamboo is Shooting!!!!!

Posted by kippyk (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 20:25

I am so excited! I was misting and watering my bamboo, which has become a daily occurrence, when all of a sudden I noticed a six-inch shoot poking up out of the mulch! I swear, it wan't there yesterday!

I have been reading about whip shoots, as I have heard mention of them, and I feared it was too good to be true; however, as far as I can tell, it is an honest-to-goodness shoot.

I previously said that the current culms were leafing out, because they appear to be adding new branches and leaves regularly, but perhaps this is different than leafing out?

When I purchased the bamboo, it had lots of branches with lots of leaves on each culm, but it had been filling in more and more since I potted them up. Does older growth keep filling in every growing season? Is filling in different than leafing out? I am keeping my fingers crossed that maybe I'll see some more shoots!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Bamboo is Shooting!!!!!

Culms that come up in a particular year will do all of their growing that year. They will not get taller, or bigger in diameter, or add more branches, or become bushier in subsequent years. If you are seeing "older" culms doing this, it means they are culms that came up this year. Bamboo culms have some annual turnover in their leaves, and will re-foliate if they got stressed, dropped leaves, and then recovered, or if they are in a severe climate that damages the foliage in the winter, but doesn't kill the culms.

o
RE: My Bamboo is Shooting!!!!!

My bamboo do a change-over of leaves but no actual branching or lengthening of old culms. There's a sudden drop of leaves which carpet the ground but the new leaf regrowth is almost simultaneous so you don't see much change in the canopy. Except for one thin, very tall species I have that does look spindly for a few weeks.

The whip shoots come from damaged new culms. I get lots when I break off emerging culms to control the bamboo. It doesn't happen with all the species but with one they just go ballistic in all directions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here