Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolshare

Moving with bamboo...

coolshare
16 years ago

After 6 years of bamboo growing at my current house, we will move. So what to do with my more than 50 species of bamboo?

Well, I carry them over. Today I am just done with the digging:

about 80 15-gallon and 60 24-gallon containers totally spending two weekends and some weekdays. I know, it is the worst time to transplant bamboo now - quite a bit of them dead.

I remember that I "won" the contest of "So Much Bamboo So Little Land."

and I don't think I can win it again: I will move to a property with 2.5 acer land but number of my species will grow:)

Here are some pics

{{gwi:418935}}
{{gwi:418936}}
{{gwi:418937}}
{{gwi:418938}}
{{gwi:418939}}
{{gwi:418940}}

Comments (6)

• countrynest
    16 years ago

You can go ahead and cry.
    It would be a nightmare to move after all the work that you put into your 'boos.

• coolshare
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, digging them was already a "nighmare". There are many
    ones ahead: moving, keep them alive and replanting...

Next nightmare: renting a 24' truck and hopefully two more weekends (worst case: 4days x 3 trips x 13 containers but I think I can carry more than 13 a trip and maybe more than 3 trips a day).

What a boo life w/o time to cry :I am verifying: am I still young enough to play with boo?

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

awesome bamboo and what an effort to take them with you.
    I have just begun my obsession with bamboo and look around my tiny lot to see where I can fit more in.
    thanks for the pictures and inspiration.
    I pray no one can figure out where you live and steal your babies. In Florida it's common for landscaping to disappear and you have a fortune there.

• hollenback
    16 years ago

Looks like a nice job of potting them up. My back hurts just looking at all of the pots. :-)

Good luck with the move.

With that much land you should be able to grow over 200 species.

Bill

• booboy
    16 years ago

I see that some of your divisions are 20-30 feet tall. I would of cut everything to about 6-8 feet. Much easier to work with. Also much less chance of the plants going in to shock. You would have them back to their origional height in a couple of years at the new place. I like how you used those blue barrels. Did you have to pay for those?

• coolshare
    Original Author
    16 years ago

booboy, the reason I left them 20' long since I like to kept those culms with leaves/branches. I bought the blue
    things as 52-gallon barrels ($12 each) and cut them half.
    I didn't realize that I would use up all of them (30+==>60++) and all my 100 15-gallon pots. My initial count was less than what I really moved.

countrynest, I did it this weekend! 37 miles between
    my old and new home. I rent a 24'-truck and hired three strong guys. 3 trips in two days (14 hours a day) and 3 push cart were broken - we ended
    up with having to pull/drag the last 7 blue ones by ropes since two carts all broken.
    About 100 15-gallon and 70 24-gallons. We did carry those
    20+' long ones over.

I think most of you won't leave them (like 2 24-gallone Hitam and 5 24-gallone plus 10 15-gallon vivax 'Aureocaulis' and so on...) behind when moving:)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus