Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
B.vulgaris 'wamin', getting the internodes to swell

Posted by pianodoctor CA 23/24 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 22:00

Hello,

I am looking for information on how (or if) I can coax an in-ground 'wamin' specimen to take on the characteristic bulging internodes.

The specimen showed the "Buddha Belly" shaped culms when I bought it (in a pot) locally. However in 2-3 years in the ground no further culms have the shape, though the plant is vigorous.

I used to have one of these in South Florida and the culms were fantastic. Now I am in near-coastal Southern California where there is a lot less heat accumulation and humidity than South Florida. I'm trying to find out what can be done to get the Buddha belly shape going.

I also have a B. ventricosa "Buddha Belly" and the key to the shape seems to be stressing it with minimal food and watering. However I have been told this will not be the way to get the B. vulgaris 'wamin' to 'belly out'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: B.vulgaris 'wamin', getting the internodes to swell

Hi, I have both plants here in NC too. The Buddha will divert back to "normal" straight growth once establised in the ground. The 3 large planter buddha's I have contine to grow with more and more distorted nodes and thicker culms. The ones in the ground are just getting taller with no real morphed look. They have only ben in the ground for 7 months so we'll have to wait and see. My Wamin is still very small and in a planter on the deck so I cant really make suggestions on that.
Take care
CJ

o

• Posted by bihai z8B FL (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 19:02

Hi Rick,
I have a small Wamin and was told that you have to keep it potted and rootbound to get the bulges. Obviously, if you had it in the ground in Miami and it had the bulges there, that's not true...but I don;t have much choice, I have o keep it containerized here in Gainesville because it isn't hardy

o

A local expert here says the current thinking is to stress the ventricosa of water, not watering until the leaves show stress, but for the wamin, give it humidity and heat if possible.

I have definitely seen many excellent in-ground wamin specimens, but all in hotter more humid places than this. However I've got black rocks around the base of mine now, full sun, and irrigation every other day, so maybe that will do something. Biggest culms yet are just now poking above ground.

And.... Hello Bihai!

Regards,

Rick Clark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here