Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Bamboo Rhizomes! How to grow...

Posted by cindy24 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 22:08

I just got 2 black bamboo Rhizomes. They are about 6 & 8 inches, it was mailed to me in a very wet newspaper and wrapped to keep moist.
I really want this to grow in a clay pot asap.

I need to know:

1.) how to make the best soil for this.
Such as Fertile, moist, draining

2.) if I get the big clay pots is that okay or should I start with a small clay pot then go bigger later?

3.) Should I use plain potting soil or Miracle Gro with 3 months of feed?
(I've heard not to use Miracle Gro)

I do have palm soil, perlite and Sphagnum moss on hand.
I just need to figure out how to make these guys grow!! :)

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks for reading.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Bamboo Rhizomes! How to grow...

Generally, you put them in a pot that is big enough for the rhizome to be placed horizontally under a couple of inches of decent soil and keep it moist.

Growing from rhizomes is an iffy thing. My success rate with various species has ranged from about 50% to 0%. It's not really the best way to go about growing bamboo because, even if you succeed, it will be at least 3-5 years before the bamboo starts putting out decent-sized culms that reach head height.

Good luck...but, if this fails, I suggest you next purchase a plant with a decent sized root ball (say, basketball size) and at least one existing culm.

o

I think your right... I should just get a plant.
It seems the success rate for rhizome's isn't real good from what I've read so far.

Thanks for your help!!

o

Hope it works...just wanted to prevent you from having too high of expectations. Give them a couple months to see if anything happens...then report back, please.

o

So I noticed a nice green little sprout!!
And a week later I noticed it dying. It was nice and green then now it's turning brown.
Not sure if it was too much water or not enough. Sheeez!

I'm not sure if I was supposed to let it dry out or keep it consistently moist.

Where's my green thumb when I need it!

o

Bamboo want to be moist...not dry, not swimming. In addition, the beginnings of the shoot you saw may have aborted for some other reason. Keep it watered and keep looking. Maybe something else may appear. However, as I mentioned before, this is not the easiest way to grow a bamboo.

o

You are so right.... it got my hopes up seeing that little shoot!

Still going to try and care for it and see what happens. But I'm going to start looking online for possibly a 2-3 gallon size bamboo plant to get me started.

I'm not sure what bamboo's will work well here in San Antonio... Let me know if you have any ideas on that.

o

Most bamboo will work in San Antonio. If you visit a nursery in your area that sells bamboo, what they have in stock is a good indication of what is hardy for you. Some tropical clumping bamboo may not work if you get below freezing in the winter. Below is a link where you can explore photos, descriptions , and hardiness ratings. Just remember that bamboo grown in a pot will be about 10 degrees F less hardy that one grown in the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: BambooWeb

o
Bamboo removal, thoughts please

I'm going to remove bamboo that has gone bizarre. Previous owners said it was contained but as fall turned to spring and spring to summer, it's everywhere. A company hired to thin & manage said it was probably the worst they've seen. It's a mix of running & clumping w/the running just out of control. Clumping is contained w/trenches. Planted approximately 15 years ago.
So, I would like opinions of how I perceive the plan of attack. I am going to hire someone w/experience (and heavy equipment), however, even among the "professionals" there are discrepancies and I'd like opinions of what "I've" come up w/while talking w/professionals & research I've done:

1. On the west side (50' long -- running), I plan to dig down 2.5 - 3 feet and just scrape and haul away all the soil. I'll leave a 1.5 foot wide stand to act as a screen. Will install a barrier between screen and drainage ditch.

2. On the north (60 x 4 -- hedge screen) and east side (front yard & gravel area for cars), remove all the bamboo and install barrier. Recycle the gravel -- it's granite.

3. On the south side, w/rock stairs & unfriendly, non-communicative neighbor, removal and barrier; need to redo stairs.

I will haul in dirt to fill.

But what type of barrier?
40mil plastic which most use, but one person said really didn't work or metal (what kind) or pressure treated wood? concrete?

I was going to replace the rocks/gravel in the front rock garden, however, since it could take 3 years to eradicate. I'm thinking about seeding for grass instead (in the hedge row as well) as I could easily watch for regrowth and if present, will be easier to remove.

Please let me know what you think of the above. I have also posted this on the Pacific Northwest Forum as well.

o

1. Welcome. I see you have just registered here, so I am going to tell you the number one rule: start your own post. You will get more pertinent answers and you won't annoy others by hijacking someone's thread. You should also not post to more than one forum unless you are getting no answers after a couple of days in the original one. Having said that, I will still give you some info.

2. Why are you removing so much dirt? Bamboo does not spread from fragments. You would need to leave behind a pretty good chunk of viable rhizome for it to continue to grow. You may have an out-of-control installation, but that doesn't mean you have to resort to unnecessary or extreme measures to deal with it.

3. The only barrier that will work well, and not rot or rust or be penetrated because it is too thin/weak, is real bamboo barrier which is made of high density plastic. I buy mine from a place on the West Coast, but you can get it many places (such as other bamboo nurseries).

Here is a link that might be useful: Barrier

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here