Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elsch

Fargesia Rufa- can it take full sun?

elvie z9CA
12 years ago

I had read some accounts that Fargesia Rufa can take full sun, so 2 weeks ago I planted three 1 gallon pots under an elm tree for a hedge.

The one that is getting full sun is showing a lot of brown leaves. The other 2 that are a tad more shaded by the elm tree have fewer brown leaves, but still show some.

I am wondering whether once they get established, they will be more stable, or if it is just too sunny a spot for them.

I live in the SF Bay area in El Sobrante, so it is usually mild in the summer, not too hot. It has been hotter than usual this last week.

thanks!

Comments (6)

• kentuck_8b
    12 years ago

They don't like the heat here in zone 8b Texas and can't take the full sun here either.

Planted under the shade of a tree, which lets some direct sunlight through is best here, but temps over 90F are hard on Rufa.

Kt

• User
    12 years ago

I have mine where it gets eastern-exposure, direct sun till around noon then mostly shade for the rest of the day. There is also a large oak overhead. They showed no problems even last summer with extreme heat and drought. They did take about three years to really take off. Last season, I divided some the clumps to increase the length of the privacy hedge (cheaper than buying new plants--they're expensive). Keep in mind that your bamboo will be in competition with your tree for root space and WATER, so supply extra water (esp. as your summers are dry), and MULCH. Once established, they've been carefree.

• stevelau1911
    12 years ago

I grow mine in direct sun, but I'm far enough north so that it doesn't get hot and the sun doesn't get that bright either.

Also fargesia rufas can't be that expensive. Some of my neighbors have been getting them for free, and this bamboo is very easy to propagate as I've done it from 1 culm, or better yet 1 shoot bud divisions.

• User
    12 years ago

"Also fargesia rufas can't be that expensive. Some of my neighbors have been getting them for free, and this bamboo is very easy to propagate as I've done it from 1 culm, or better yet 1 shoot bud divisions."

My local local Lowe's was selling small starter plants for $16.00--that's expensive for many of us.--I know they're easy to propagate--done it repeatedly.

• elvie z9CA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Is it reasonable to assume that they are a bit more vulnerable to the sun, since they were newly transplanted, compared to being established and growing in the ground for a while?

(or am I in sun denial, lol)

• User
    12 years ago

"Is it reasonable to assume that they are a bit more vulnerable to the sun, since they were newly transplanted, compared to being established and growing in the ground for a while?"

Yes (ALL plants would be),, once they are established (they say, no transplant is "established" until after the THIRD season), they can deal with more sun. I would avoid direct, midday sun. They HATE hot weather at night which is why they are problematic in the Southeast. I just happen to have a nice, shaded, relatively cool, moister microclimate that that I planted them in. I have the Fargesia on one property line and Black Bamboo on the other side. The runners love the full sun and grow fast and want to create a grove--fast. (Currently inhabited by a herd of deer no less.) The Fargesia provide a much calmer, more manicured look--and, as of yet, no pandas. :) Good luck.

PS, This is really not a good time to transplant--though, I'm guilty of that myself. If you decide to move them for any reason, wait until the Fall or Spring--though, in your area--Winter, is also fine!