Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missa_gw

question on harvesting bamboo. and shipping for trade

missa
18 years ago

hi there!

Ok in the past ive traded several plants for one bamboo plant. Almost every time they have died on me. Someone had told me that inorder to have aplant survive it must be leafed out before its to be harvested. another words it has to be a mature stock.

I have gotten a root with a clum that was cut back and was excited and planted it in rich humus soil and gave it a mild fertilizer and it would just die. I have dwarf bissetti and i love it. I wanted to dig up a clum and trans plant it to the front of my house. what is the best stage to move it with out killing it? Im heart broken that i have not sucessfully been able to trade bamboo and have it survive. lol, several times i ended up with japanese knot weed,lol. Boy thats such an evil plant! thank goodness i knew about that plant and gave it a proper burial in the trash. Some of the people took extra measures and sent m a nice root division with a new "Eye" and it died. I really want some golden bamboo and some black bamboo. the tough thing is that i live in zone 5 and i need a super hardy bamboo. I know ive asked alot of questions for one post but i have one more. whats the name of the bamboo that is mostly fead to the pandas in a zoo or perhaps eaten in the wild as well? Thanks a bunch! missy

Comments (4)

• mtnbamboogirl
    18 years ago

hi missy..if i am right you are in mass?liveing in zone 5 is a tough one but not always impossable..your P.bissetti"Dwarf" is a neat running bamboo.i just planted P.bissetti .now of all the running bamboo bissetti is one of the MOST invasive of all temperate baamboo!..but it can be controled..your dwarf should give you a great tight screen..i have seen P.bissetti in georgia and it was so thick you could not see thru it...

i bought 12 different types of bamboo from tripple brook farm just a few miles east of springfield ,and steve the owner is a great guy whom will be more than glad to help you..tell him chele from tn sent you.(i was born + grew up in mass).or contact me and ill send you info.

if you find unkown wild bamboo id wait till sept and go to the outside of the groove and look for a culm(stem)thats 6' too 15' and has branched out and dig that one up..bamboo rhizomes/roots are shallow..the rhizomes are tough to cut threw but if this old lady can do it you can.get some burlap and wrap the root ball(bigger the better)and put it in a plastic bag and wet the ball down with water so it does not dry out...plant asap...and put some type of mulch on it and forget fertalizer for a year or so...if you must use it get horse manuea and put it on top the mulch...ive not used any fertalizer yet and ive planted 18 different types this year here..all are doing great.

remember the first 3 years
    sleeps
    creeps
    leaps

depending on what kind and where you live.

your running bamboo can get away from you if you don't prevent it..id try growing very cold hardy clumping bamboo called FARGESIA...within that family there are many boo than can handle -20 degrees!....feel free to join my east coast bamboo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/eastcoastbamboogroup .i have many top notch bamboo exspert in my group to answer your bamboo question i can't

Here is a link that might be useful: East Coast Bamboo Group

• srlee
    16 years ago

I am buying a house that most of the very large lot is cover with bamboo, these are very large stalks over 2 stories high. Many of the stalks are larger around than my arm. I need the land cleared but don't want to see all this bamboo go to waste, so I am trying to find some place to sell it so that I can offset the cost of having the land cleared. Any idea's? There are several thousand "baby" bamboo plants as well. Please let me know if anyone has any idea's ASAP, my husband wants to just bulldoze it all down and be done with it. Thanks in advance for any help.

• benbur
    16 years ago

Hi Missy, I live in Or. in a very dry area, I have golden bamboo, that is always skinny. It spreads, and grows easily here without much water. You are a little colder, let me know if you want some. I don't need any plants. benbur

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

I was checking out a site that I have bought bamboo from a few years ago. I notice that after they dig their bamboos, they pot them up and they grow them in the pots for a year. Maybe that has something to do with it, that they are 'stabilized' before they are grown by growers.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!