Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Bamboo

Posted by Jstn254 WA 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 23:32

So I'm thinking of planting Black Bamboo as a privacy screen in my backyard. I would like to contain them in about an area 15 feet long but only about a foot wide, does this sound plausible to anyone that knows about black bamboo out there? Also, how tall would they grow? How long do they take to get to full heigth? I would like to see them get to about 15 and stop really, maybe 20 or 25 but no taller.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Bamboo

More info is needed:

How do you intend to contain the bamboo?
Why are you trying to limit the planting to only a foot depth?
How large will the plants be that you are starting with?

o

The greenhouse guy has some sort of material that is supposed to keep them contained. I'd like to get as tall as I can to start with, maybe even 10 feet tall? Only a foot wide because I have other trees and plants in the area, and my backyard isn't that big either.

o

If your greenhouse guy's material is bamboo barrier, that will work. However, one foot in depth is on the scanty side, and could result in a somewhat patchy screen; two feet would be much better.

As far as height, bamboo generally take a year or two after it is planted before it starts putting out significant new growth. What you have to understand is that bamboo are not like trees. Once a culm shoots, it typically gets to its full height within two months, and will never get taller or wider. What will get taller will be the new growth that comes up each successive year. Black bamboo has a maximum height of 30 feet, but I've been growing it for 10 years in a temperate, Zone 8 environment and it's just approaching 20 feet. How well yours will do depends on your sun, soil, water, and climate. What Zone are you in?

o

I'm in Zone 8 in Washington State, my soil has a lot of clay, so drainage isn't all that great. It would be planted just to the north of about a 10 foot fence with lots of pine trees to the south of that fence (neighbors yard). So it wont be getting full sun.

o

I'm in Zone 8 in Washington State, my soil has a lot of clay, so drainage isn't all that great. It would be planted just to the north of about a 10 foot fence with lots of pine trees to the south of that fence (neighbors yard). So it wont be getting full sun.

o

I'm in WA state, too, and have a lot of clay in my soil as well. I would say that it will do ok for you, and it will be evergreen, although the lack of full sun will make it size up more slowly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here