Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beechy bamboo shooting above ground?

Posted by genericboi 20 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 23:42

Does anyone know why this is happening? I noticed a tip the other day and brushed away the dead leaves to see the progress and noticed that the entire new shoot is forming above the soil. What's that about? My bamboo has 5 new shoots and they are all above ground. Is this normal? Should I shovel some soil over the new shoots? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beechy bamboo shooting above ground?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 12, 06 at 0:29

Are you saying that there is a sort of runner coming out from the main plant horizontally just above the ground, and then sending up a shoot? If this is what you meant, this is standard behavior for many bamboo, both runners and clumpers, especially when the plant has only been in the ground for a year or two. Don't worry...the bamboo knows what it's doing and you don't need to intervene.

o
RE: Beechy bamboo shooting above ground?

Here is a new Textilis I have and if you look closely you can see that the shoots did not come up out of the soil, they grew out of the base of the older clums.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This one is not my bamboo. But if you look at the base of the plant you can see how the new shoots develop from the lowest section of the older culms--they don't actually come breaking out of the ground.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Here is a link that might be useful: garden photo blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here