Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colark

Am I the only one with trouble growing black bamboo?

colark
15 years ago

Hi, I am new here and have been having problems with what I thought was an easy growing plant.

I have four black bamboo in a large planter box inside my house. They get dappled light through the windows and skylights throughout the day. The location is rather bright, though indoors.

The leaves have had some black tips and then the tips turn crunchy brown, from what I can tell. I get very little green new growth. Basically, about two months ago, they started out all green and healthy. I (and the cats) have managed to turn them into scraggly brown tipped plants with only a couple of new leaves at a time.

I have not fertilized. Should I be and with what? I keep the soil pretty moist. The plants seem to do better when I mist them (we are in CO with low humidity). How much water should I be giving them? The planter box is 2 feet deep with plenty of soil to hold water.

Thanks for the information. I am itching to see them grow big and strong!

Comments (7)

• tropicallvr
    15 years ago

If you have Phyllostachys nigra, then it might be tough to do because the Phyllostachys genus isn't a tropical bamboo(indoor conditions mimick dry tropical), and Phyllostchys nigra is from Japan, so it's pretty cold there. I only have a little experience trying to over winter cold hardy bamboo inside and it isn't easy, and for long term it could be even tougher, but I have seen some nice indoor Phyllostacys vivax in the SF international airport, but who knows if they replace it from time to time (they were in the middle of rhimozome pruning in a planter, when I was there, and it looked like a chore). Usally more tropical bamboo is a better bet inside, and cats may pose a problem too, if they pee in your plants.

• eric_layton
    15 years ago

colark,
    I have not had much success keeping temperate bamboos indoors. They seem to be more sensitive to drought and drying conditions inside. I almost killed Square Bamboo by trying to keep it inside. From what I have heard, they need the cold season to stay vigorous. Unfortunately, Colorado might be a bit too cold for Ph. nigra outside. I have kept a tropical bamboo inside for a few years. My Oldhams Bamboo is right next to a south window with adjustable blinds. I fertilize it at the same time as my other indoor plants (spaths, palms, pothos, ficus etc.). No special treatment. The Peace Lillys show me when to water when they start wilting.
    Eric

• colark
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information. It is Ph. nigra. Since I posted, I got a new culm out of one of the plants. I am trying to water more to help with the dry conditions inside. I don't want to lose these guys, and it would be too cold outside for them (we are zone 5, maybe 4 here---microclimates).
    I will keep plugging ahead with them. It's in the entry, so it does get a little cold in there during the winter, but nothing like Japan. In a month, I might be posting to ask for a substitute though!
    Thanks!

• johnszot
    15 years ago

colark -

i'm a bit warmer in Brooklyn - I am growing Ph. Nigra outside and it is not doing so well either. The plant has been hanging in there for about two years w/ no new shoots and grows a bit fuller each season, but i am concerned i'll never see culms over 1/4" in dia.

Posting mostly to commiserate; i've had poor luck growing indoors as well ('Robert Young' and 'Walking Stick' Chimonobambusa tumidissinoda). The only thing doing well for me this far north outisde is my Vivax and Madake, the latter of which is doing extremely well.

• tropicallvr
    15 years ago

You could try putting them outside for the entire month of October, when you're getting some freezing tempatures, then bringing them back inside when it gets cold enough to kill them.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

If starting to build up a collection in a climate too cold for overwintering outdoors then time to get yourself a greenhouse. Wouldn't have to be very warm or fancy, just enough to keep the plants from freezing and dieing. Black bamboo does not do as well in hot climates as some other species in the same genus.

• silversword
    15 years ago

Hi, we just bought a bunch of Nigra and it was suggested to us to use B-1 vitamin when watering. They seem to be doing pretty well, but then we bought them here in CA from a nursery that had been growing them outside for years, so that's a bit of an advantage. Good luck!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio