Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bamboo Mites

Posted by island_murr (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 0:39

I can't find a way to rid my bamboo of the bamboo spider mite. I have a number of plants so spraying them with oil and soap is daunting. I was told that a chemical called imidacloprid was a good systemic control and although I've applied this chemical a number of times, I still have mites. Other posters on this forum indicate that this chemical is not effective against mites. Who to believe???

I found an Oregon University site which outlines some chemical options and spoke of the chemical AVID. Does anyone know anything about AVID or it's effectiveness? Or any other control?

Any help would be appreciated....

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bamboo Mites

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 7, 09 at 22:47

Avid is very effective for controlling bamboo mites. The active chemical is abamectin and the main caution to observe is not to spray it around bees because it can also kill them. I have used it on my large collection of bamboo over the last five years and it takes care of the problem. It's an expensive chemical (I paid $125 for an 8 ounce bottle), but that quantity makes up about 400 gallons of spray mixture, and will last me a number of years. As with any chemical, it's good to only spray when absolutely necessary so you don't end up helping some "super mite" evolve. I spray about once a year, and I mix in some horticultural oil, like Stylet, which helps smother the mites. When you spray, try to hit the underside of the leaves as that is where the webs are. However, abamectin has trans-laminar properties, so it will enter the leaf structure and compensate for not hitting every single surface.

Here is a link that might be useful: Abamectin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here