Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to put bamboo?

Posted by valeriannightmares (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 2:57

I've been wanting to plant some bamboo in a planter box some time soon, and was wondering what conditions I should aim for. well drained versus moist soil? full light versus shade? anybody know?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to put bamboo?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 3:21

Bamboo does not like to be in standing water, but it does like to be moist. I pot mine up like any plant and just make sure it's well-watered. Bamboo can typically handle a variety of light conditions, although you will get better growth from most of them with fairly sunny conditions (there are a few that prefer shade or semi-shade). What height bamboo do you have room for? How big is the planter? What is the type/design of the planter? What growing Zone are you in?

o

I think I'm zone 8... Mid to Northern california for what it's worth. I'm planning on building a small cinder block planter outside (thinking one block deep by six long and three wide) with some sort of water permeable lining at the bottom to allow drainage but stop the rhizome from running too far.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 25, 09 at 13:15

A water permeable liner won't stop a rhizome. You have several options: 1) dig down and make your cinder block 24" deep (you will also need to mortar them all properly, not just stack them), 2) install a product called bamboo barrier which is a specialty, heavy-duty plastic that is 30"-36" high and sells for $2-$3 a running foot; you would install this 24" deep in a trench around the bamboo perimeter, and then not need a planter enclosure); or 3) plant a clumping bamboo, which will need no containment as it doesn't spread out tentacles like a running bamboo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here