Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bamboo and rodent hole

Posted by mike9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 5:22

I cleared a large area by the treeline, mostly of poision ivy. I sprayed roundup then pulled the vines, and of course not wearing enough protection for my wrists, ankles, face waist etc. I then raked away the leaf litter and moved a pile of big sandstone rocks back 10 feet and stacked them in a low wall and then planted 4 one gallon Sasa Oshidensis bamboo. Theyve already sent up several shoots.

Last week i found the leaves on one of my small bamboo plants covered with slugs, 2 large slugs and a dozen teeny ones. I picked and killed them then several more the next night and threw down som bug getta granuals.

Today i saw some kids run between the plants stand on the stone wall then run around and chase each other. I checked and one of the plants had a few small shoots crushed.Ugh!!

While inspecting that plant i found a clean, deep, 1" diamter hole right on the other side of that plant.

In previus years ive seen chipmunks running threw the yard, I dont remember ever seing any other non-squirrel rodents around so a chipmunk would be my first guess.

Will it damage my bamboo? If it will what should i do?

I live in CT

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bamboo and rodent hole

hole in the ground, in case that wasnt clear lol.

o

I just checked closer and found theres a hole next to a second bamboo plant, and a leaf on the third plant was nibbled. my guess is animals were curius aboout a plant they never seen before.

Do rodents eat the rhizomes? I filled the holes in, If they come back im putting poision down that hole or placing traps.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 13:25

One of the problem critters you need to worry about is voles...they seem to love to eat the roots of bamboo. I can't tell from your description what critter(s) you are dealing with, but voles can effectively kill a bamboo from below and you don't usually know it until it's too late. It might be time to set out some traps. (I'd worry about using rodenticide with kids around).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here