Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
last_mango

Sunburst bamboo in trouble? White gooey stuff - PICS... help?

last_mango
16 years ago

Hi, You all have helped me in the past when I thought my giant black bamboo was not going to make it (I have since put it in the ground and it is slowly making a comeback with a new shoot appearing today).

However, now my sunburst (not sure of the "real" name) is in trouble, I think. Only the new shoots have this white gunk on them. More up near their tops. It seems they are stunted and not growing any taller. The other full grown shoots don't have the white stuff on them.

Here's an overview to get an idea of the height. The new shoots seem to be stopping about 3/4 of the way up...

{{gwi:419861}}

This is a close up of the fuzzy/gooey white stuff:

{{gwi:419863}}

This shows what may be the top of new shoot that has broken off and fallen down:

{{gwi:419865}}

This shows a healthy (so far) Hawaiian stripe that is right next to the Sunburst:

{{gwi:419867}}

Any identification and/or suggestions? Mostly, will it spread to existing bamboo or shoots of the other types?

Any help or ideas you can provide are GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, I just went out and looked and the new shoots that have the white stuff concentrated near their tops seem to be sprouting branches just fine as if they had reached their full height. There is lighter coating of the white further down the stalks and on the branches... Hmmm?

Comments (8)

• kentuck_8b
    16 years ago

I get that on some of my Bambusas. I don't remember seeing any on my Sunburst(Bambusa Pervariabilis Viridistriata), though.

I don't know if it is brought on by too much rain and not enough dry sun-shiney weather, but whatever the cause, it does not seem to affect the overall plant. You may lose a new shoot here and there, but otherwise, it's not a real problem.

Usually, the new shoots will continue to grow as normal. As long as the rest of the plant looks healthy, then I wouldn't worry too much.

You have some nice looking bamboos there.

Kt

• last_mango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the comments. The shoots were growing during a really really wet period that has since turned into a really really dry period.

I don't think they grew as tall as they should, but I won't worry about it now. I tried some searching on the net on bamboo disease, fungus, pests, etc. but didn't find anything. Odd.

Thanks for the bamboo compliment. I love the stuff. I have some new-ish wamin that I particularly like. And, I'm hoping the black will take off, although now I think it will be kind of scrunched in that back corner of the fence. Oops.

Again, thanks for the info!

• last_mango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, now this stuff is on my newest black bamboo shoot (the only black shoot so far this season). I hope it won't stunt it like it did the other Sunburst shoots (they made it to about 10-15 feet and then their tops got coated and soft (and some fell off completely) - they seem to be branching, though).

It is not nearly as wet here as it was when it first appeared, yet I still have the white stuff coating my new shoots. It is on two more Sunburst shoots, but so far the Hawaiian Stripe is clear and the Wamin on the other side of the yard is ok.

Does anyone have any ideas what it is or if I should worry about it? I've been spraying it off the black shoot with a high pressure hose - then it stays clear for a few days. So far that shoot is still growing. I'm worried that may not be the best idea, though??? I do try to spray away from the other bamboo...

Thanks for any input!

• unautre
    16 years ago

If you don't get an answer here, try the forum at bambooweb.info.

How quickly, in years, does that Bambusa pervariabilis viridistriata size up? How high after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years?

I might try some here in San Antonio. It looks to be more erect than my beloved B. tuldoides.

• orchidnuts
    16 years ago

Hi,
    That white goo is from mealybugs. Most likely the pink mealybug. Peel back the culm sheaths and you should see them. They are about 3 mm long. They seem to like new growth culms and new limbs. Control or elimination can be a challenge. You can spray with neem oil. systemic chemicals which are absorbed by the plant last longer. Bayer tree and shrub spray sold by H.D. will work well. I mixed up about 5 gallons of the stuff and watered the entire plant. Larger plantings will need more of the mix. Care should always be taken when using chemicals. Systemics can be absorbed through bare skin. Read the directions and follow all precautions.
    Mealy bugs will not kill the plant. They are just unsightly on the new culms.
    Rich

• popper1
    16 years ago

Take Rich's advice and use the Bayer Advanced Tree & Shrub. I had mealy bugs on some of my bamboos and could not get rid of them with any sprays, they get down in at the node branches and it is impossible to get enough spray in there to kill them. I used the Bayer product and that elimated them very quickly. You only need to use it once/year. I used it last fall and have not seen them since.

The mealy bugs seem to be more of a problem on certain species & leave others alone. My various B. multiplex plants were attacked, while others, like my black D. asper and giant thorny were left alone.

• last_mango
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Orchidnuts & Popper - Thank you **SO** much for the information!! I could not find it anywhere else. I will pick up some Bayer Tree & Shrub - I've used a different version (rose? ornamental?) for my hibiscus.

Unature - I will have to check out bambooweb.info, too. I'd say that the bamboo in the pics above all started about the same size (a few 5' stalks for each clump?) and have been in the ground about 3 years. The Sunburst has definitely taken off the fastest and stands quite upright. The black has been struggling, but I'm almost afraid for it to start shooting... I have two clumps of Hawaiian, and it seems to have a much larger base/spread than the Sunburst.

• popper1
    16 years ago

They do have a Bayer made for roses, not sure what the active ingredient is in that, but in the Tree & Shrub it is imidacloprid. As I recall I used the shrub method of figuring out that amount of the product to use.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County