Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need quick suggestion for screen planting

Posted by sunbum Z7 Atl GA (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 9:07

I know this is probably a common question, but I searched and didn't come up with just what I was looking for.

I need a screen plant;

-maybe 8 - 12' tall
-as 'skinny' as practical, maybe 4' across (diameter) +/-
-they will be planted along the border of the existing 'wooded' part of our lot, so mostly shaded.
-need to be 'cheap' 'cause I may need 100 or so plants
-prefer something with minimal maintenance requirements
-fast growing would be great

Leylands are the type of thing I'm looking for, but these don't need to be near that big and I'm not sure how Leylands do in the shade.

I love the idea of Bamboo, which would be kind of unique. But, I don't want anything invasive and, again, the shade may be a problem.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need quick suggestion for screen planting

Found this website that might be helpful. I think bamboo would be a great idea, and quick growing compared to some other options. Sounds like they do ok with shade as long as they get a little direct light (not sure if your spot is full shade or partial). You could go with clumping to avoid the problem of invasive bamboo, but it doesn't grow as fast and it's the kind that grows through concrete and pipes and such. Otherwise, you can just dig a trench and put some thick plastic sheeting to make a box for the running kind. Hope this helps or at least points you in a good direction. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo tips

o
RE: Need quick suggestion for screen planting

Bamboo would work fine for your purpose, but you don't grow it from seed, usually, so you have to buy divisions, and whole plants can be expensive on the scale you are talking about. A bamboo 6' high in a 5-gallon pot would probably be about $40.

If you want bamboo that you don't have to maintain, then you would go with clumping bamboo, which is not invasive. Contrary to what the previous poster said, bamboo does not invade pipes or break through concrete, and this applies to all kinds of bamboo, both clumping and running. If you have clumping, you don't need any kind of barrier. If you have running and don't want it to be invasive, you need to install bamboo barrier in a trench about 24" deep. Bamboo barrier is a specialty, high-density plastic that is usually 60 to 80 mils thick. Anything less than that, such as black plastic sheeting, will be about as effective as tissue paper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here