Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_rose_gw

Bamboo Newbie- 2 questions (at least)

Tiffany_Rose
15 years ago

Background: My dog (amazingly loving Pitt) can jump my 4' wooden fence. He does not go roaming the neighborhood-fortunately; He only jumps to visit and kiss our neighbors who walk by-unfortunately. I don't want to replace the entire fence- we have a HUGE, exposed backyard-and he only jumps in the far corner from the house. My solution is to plant bamboo or any other plant that will 1)obstruct his view of neighbors and 2)impede his jump. My first thought is Bamboo, but here are my problems:

My soil is sand, sand, and more sand. We have great drainage, but poor moisture control. The planting area is far enough from the house constant watering could be problematic. The site is FULL SUN except for LATE evenings.

And I need something that will grow QUICKLY, preferably 5 feet the first year (dream big, don't I?), though it doesn't need to get much bigger than that. I'd love, love 12', but not necessary. I won't turn my nose up at taller.

I don't care about color or shape so long as it looks thick and lush.

It has to be clumping. I'd like to keep part of my exposed yard!

Advice is GREATLY appreciated! Can this even be done? Are my expecations too far off?

Comment (1)

• bambookid524
    15 years ago

I have hear Fargesia Robusta makes a good screen.

Not sure about Fargesia Robusta 'Green Screen'

I have heard bad things about TC plants like this. BTW TC is tissue culture.

Here is a link to Robusta:
    http://bamboogarden.com/Fargesia%20robusta.html

Other Fargesias may work just as well.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County