Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happens to runners in a contained area over time?

Posted by suprdude (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 07 at 11:12

I have several separate sections of runners contained with barriers. The oldest is about 5 years old and it seems like it's bursting at the seams. Won't it eventually become a solid mass of roots, suffocating itself? Who has a contained area that old, and what's its condition?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happens to runners in a contained area over time?

most people with bamboo in planters or contained areas will divide or root prune every few years to keep the plant from choking itself out. in addition it is nice to replace the dirt from the rootballs you removed with your own topsoil mix. without maintenance it will become just like the 1 gallon plant you've seen sitting at the nursery for the last 5 years, rootbound. if the planter is too small for the boo to become mature, then you'll have a dwarfed plant.

find some friends to give a bamboo start or specimen to. if you'd rather not do the work you can put an ad online and someone will usually be glad to remove some for you in exchange for the removed bamboo itself.

o
RE: What happens to runners in a contained area over time?

Yes, it will eventually choke itself out if you do not divide it. That happened to one of my runners this year, and I knew I needed to divide it but kept putting it off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here