Posted by dale949 Zone 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 9, 09 at 12:13

Can I control running bamboo without a barrier by cutting
the shoots as they emerge. I would like to plant Golden
Bamboo (Phyllostachys Aurea)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Running bamboo

It would be best to do a rhizome trimming a couple of times each year.

Just cutting the newly emrging shoots will not keep the underground rhizomes from spreading, but I know some people who keep their grove in check this way, but they now wish they had installed some type of barrier or dug a trecnch around the designated area for ease of rhizome trimming.

Is your grove going to be near other plants or close to buildings, etc? If not, you may be able to cut newly emerging shoots and keep the grove neat, since the rhizomes will only grow so far from the 'mother' plant.

Kt

o
RE: Running bamboo

Believe me, I has very reluctant to plant my P. aurea and other varieties in the ground, having had an experience with an out of control grove. In my current location, I planted a row of aurea at the edge of a wooded area--it won't grow into the back because bamboo will not spread into dense shade. Then I dug a trench around the grove essentially creating an island (or a peninsula rather). The reason for the trench is that you can much more easily cut the rhizomes. I check it and prune if necessary in Spring and the Autumn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here