Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffrey_schneider

Suggestions for a Tall Bamboo for my 18' Celing

Jeffrey Schneider
16 years ago

Hello!

I currently have a white bird of paradise in my apartment which speads out and obstructs my view (see link):

Does anyone have any suggestions for a tall bamboo, quick growing, more stalk than leaves, very green, relatively pest free?

I have 18' ceilings, so something tall would be great.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!

Jeff

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:420543}}

Comments (5)

• flourboy
    16 years ago

I would love to have 18 foot ceilings so that I could try to grow bamboo indoors. If I did, I would try to grow Hibanobambusa shiroshima "Tranquilans". It's beautiful and mine is doing well outdoors without a lot of full sun. Even so, I would install a high pressure sodium or metal halide light that would produce plenty of light. I'd also plan on misting the plant at least once a day and I'd keep a broom handy to clean up fallen leaves. Good luck!

• takumaku
    16 years ago

Since are growing inside, I would recommend Pseudosasa japonica - Arrow Bamboo (if you want green) or Phyllostachys nigra - Black Bamboo (it will create a nice contrast to your white walls ^^).

• barrelhead
    16 years ago

I researched this same question 6 months ago (have 18 foot ceiling too with four skylights) and takumaku's recommendation is what I concluded as well. However, I bought a 5 gallon Pseudosasa japonica and after a few weeks of going downhill in the house, I noticed it was covered in aphids or white flies or something so I had to take it outside. It recovered outside, so I guess I'll bring it back in for the winter. But I guess it goes without saying that they don't grow as tall, as fast or as full inside as they do outside.

• Jeffrey Schneider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello!

Thanks to your help, I have decided to either purchase:
    Phyllostachys nigra 'Henon' 'GIANT GRAY HENON'
    or
    Phyllostachys Nigra (Black Bamboo) for a container indoors.

How do these species do indoors regarding pests? Will I be spraying monthly with rubbing alcohol or will be misting with water once a week be enough to keep pests at bay?

Thank You!

• takumaku
    16 years ago

This is what I use on all my bamboo plants, both indoor and out.

Phil Davidson, of the Pacfic Northweast chapter, offers his homebrew recipe for mite spray.

Get an empty one-gallon milk container and add the following:

two teaspoons of liquid dishwashing soap
    two tablespoons of any vegetable cooking oil, new or used
    fill remainder of milk container with water
    This is your stock solution.

Fill your hose end sprayer (with a golf ball inside) and set for 2.5 oz per gallon. Spray for mites, thoroughly soaking the leaves, especially the underside of the leaf where the mites have their webbing.

Every 20 seconds or so agitate the hose end sprayer to keep the oil, soap and water in solution (this is where the golf ball comes into play)

You can vary your mixture. I sometimes use up to 4 oz per gallon with no burning or other ill effect on the leaves. I recommend starting with a lower dosage and working up.

This mixture will smother the active mites and 'melt' their webbing. I do not know or have studied what effect, if any, it may have on mite eggs.

Repeat every 2 - 3 weeks to kill any mites that may have been missed or newly hatched.

Advantages of this 'homebrew' miticide:

It is safe! These ingredients are found in your kitchen!
    The mites cannot build up a tolerance to it as they are smothered by the mixture!
    It is very inexpensive. I estimate about 2 - 3 pennies per application.
    It is bio-degradable and breaks down quickly.
    Note: once you are finished spraying ensure your thoroughly rinse out the plastic hose end sprayer with fresh water as the mixture of oil, soap and water will degrade the plastic making it soft, gummy and unusable.

Phil Davidson
    Jade Mountain Bamboo Nursery
    www.jademountainbamboo.com

Sponsored
Ronald J. Smith Interiors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Veteran Interior Designer Serving Clients in Upper Marlboro