Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing bamboo?

Posted by joss-1 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 12:44

Hi, I planted 3 Angel Mist plants in one spot... had no idea how fast they would grow. Small plants are 20 feet plus in one season and the 3 plants are all growing into each other with about 60 or more shoots, probably more. I would like to move a few shoots to the back yard... is it possible? It provides great shade. Can you email me at: jossm@att.net Thanks!! Joss

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing bamboo?

I'm not certain what species you have, since some sellers throw around fanciful names for various bamboo species without much consistency. I'm going to assume it's a clumping bamboo. You can divide any bamboo, but it is always best to wait until it is not shooting vigorously, and to take a chunk when you divide that does not contain only newer culms as they are the most likely to not survive. The root system will be dense and woody, so be prepared for some hard work. In order to take a division, you will need some kind of root pruning saw, preferably something electric-powered like a Sawzall, to cut down through the root mass and split off a chunk. If you try to use an axe, you will probably shock the plant too much and make a mess of the division. (And don't even think of using something like a chainsaw!) Once you have a chunk severed, you will need to dig and pry it out of the ground. It's helpful to have a steel demolition bar for the prying so you don't break your shovel.

o

I've had good luck when taking a few bamboo culms to dig down to where the rhizome is with a shovel and expose the rhizome, then I take hand pruners and just cut all the rhizomes growing from the plant. Super easy and not so much work.

I've found something that is much much much MUCH worse than bamboo, it's digging up zebra grass! That stuff is impossible!

o

Wow, much easier than I thought it would be. A good shovel and some gloves. Angel Mist is given the name for the white film covering the stalks, a beautiful bamboo down in South Florida. Yes, clumping. Thanks.

o

Glad it went well for you. It sounds like it was much easier than I expected given how big this bamboo gets. Are the divisions all doing ok?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here