Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnszot

poisonous resin from Robert Young?

johnszot
15 years ago

over the winter i was growing Robert Young in a pot indoors; i made the mistake of putting the pot near a south-facing window and the plant didn't do so well. once the weather warmed up this spring i placed the pot outdoors and it seems to be doing okay now.

the weird thing is, when i finally moved the plant outdoors, i noticed that the area it occupied inside my apartment was covered in a fine, sticky resin that came from the plant. the window sill and window are covered in the stuff.

also while the Robert Young was indoors, next to it i had a pot of Walking Stick (Chimonobambusa tumidissinoda) which also did very poorly. Personally, i believe the direct sun and dry conditions are what damaged the Walking Stick (it has since slowly died off after transfering it to an outdoor grove), but could the resin from the Robert Young have had anything to do with it? and if so, should i be careful transferring the Robert Young to a grove that has some Madake and Vivax in it (both fo which are doing very well)? The Robert Young culms are under 1/2" diameter....

thanks in advance.

- john

Brooklyn, NY

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville