Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dont plant yellow groove near rubber liner pond!

Posted by sandy0225 z5 Indiana (sandy02256@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Aug 26, 08 at 14:07

My fish pond had been leaking all summer and my hubby and I finally decided to investigate and see what the problem was. We thought it was in the waterfall and we were going to shut it off and see if that fixed the problem.
Well I was pulling excess water hyacinths out with a rake and snagged into something--and discovered my yellow groove bamboo planted next to the pond 4 years ago or so had punctured through the rubber roof material liner in FOUR places, about a foot and a half down from the surface.The shoots were growing out into the water, which I though it wouldn't do either! We cut it off and patched the holes and it's holding water again.
I thought I'd post this to tell you that you might want to be careful when putting yellow groove around a liner pond! I never thought this would happen in a million years!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dont plant yellow groove near rubber liner pond!

UHOO>...I just planted some bamboo about 2-3 feet from my 4000 gallon pond...maybe I should move them LOL...I was wanting quick shade for the afternoon sun...not sure what type of bamboo it is though...was it .45 mil liner that you used?..Dave

o

I bought a house nearly 2 years ago that was well manincured & landscaped. Besides it's beauty, the bamboo has been a major headache. The bamboo (unsure of the type) surrounds our fish pond. The bamboo has poked holes in the fish pond. Does anybody have any suggestions?

o

Yes, my pond liner is standard .45 thick rubber roofing material. I'm not sure why the bamboo poked through it since other websites say you can use this to contain the bamboo. But it sure didn't work in my case.
Thankfully it wasn't my big grove of bamboo that did this, it was just an area about 8X10 near that pond. I decided to take it out, because we'd been considering doing that anyway. Even before this happened.
I like my bananas near the pond much better anyway. I cut down all the shoots and I'm keeping on cutting them until they exhaust themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here