Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about building a bamboo fence/screen

Posted by topsiebeezelbub z7 Al (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 13 at 14:10

I have harvested enough bamboo to make a screen around my compost area, but I am wondering how to fill/seal the tops of the hollow culms...I don't want a mosquito factory. I thought of crazy foam, but its so messy. What have others used? Building a little roof over the top would be nice, but beyond my skills. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about building a bamboo fence/screen

Try silicone

o

If you don't want water accumulating in the open tops:
1) seal the top end with ordinary latex exterior caulking compound; or
2) cut all the top ends just above the top node so there is no "cup"; or
3) Drill a 1/4" hole through the bamboo wall just above the top node so that water drains out; or
4) Buy a 1/4" diameter, flexible shaft drill bit that is at least half the length of your bamboo (you can buy these bits up to 6' long), and drill through all the nodes in each bamboo culm so that any water goes through.

o

Thanks...need to buy a new drill!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here