Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions - know nothing about bamboo

Posted by maryfaye_tx 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 14:23

A co-worker is giving me some bamboo and I know it's the kind that run but he doesn't know what kind it is. I live in the country and have a very long drive that has road base. I have about 6' between the road and a field fence and want to plant the bamboo in this area. My question is,

1. We have Barbado sheep in the pasture and I am wondering if it runs into the pasture and the sheep eat it will it harm them?

2. Will the bamboo spread up through the road base (it's packed pretty hard)?

Thanks - Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions - know nothing about bamboo

1. No, it will not harm the sheep. They eat it here all the time.

2. It will possibly shoot up through the road base, but it depends on how thick the road base is and what type of road base it is.

One foot of heavily packed road base will probably deter the bamboo from shooting through it, but even if some does, you can break off the new shoots or do a twice a year rhizome trim along the roadside. A plow or grader blade would do for this also if the angle is right.

Kt

o

Thanks Kt, that answers my questions. That is were I will plant the bamboo. Thanks again!

Mary

o

Interesting to learn that you're sheep nibble on bamboo, Kentuck. Deer don't seem to touch it even if they're starving but do seek out the shelter of a grove for cover.

o

Deer have never touched it here that I know of either.

The sheep, not mine...but my neighbours, eat the young leaves and possibly the newly emerging shoots. Of course, they have little to eat, especially this year with us being at the end of a two year drought.

I think they would prefer other vegetation if and when it is available.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here