Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help and advice on a new bamboo project

Posted by fraser69 DFW zone 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 14:27

The area I am in is just east of DFW.

I used to grow a little bamboo when i was living in England, but had to give it up and move it all to my parents house when i moved to the states

I am looking for some advice on my idea for a raised garden bed to include some or one large bamboo as a backdrop.
Will be having the raised bed approximately 3 foot high with a four foot surround (to stop the dogs from getting in and keep the bamboo from spreading all over the place)
Have not decided how long or wide it will be, but the minimum will be 8 foot by 60 foot, seeing as I will be having to split a lot of grasses early next year for planting
Now the size of the back yard is around 1 acre so I have plenty of room.
I would like to get fast growing bamboos that can reach heights of 20 foot plus.
Please will someone give me some feedback
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help and advice on a new bamboo project

There are a lot of running bamboos that will do with those specifications.

Are you wanting a specific look, such as a bamboo that is very erect or one that leans outward? Do you want a specific culm colour?

Kt

o

i'm looking for a bamboo that is erect and am not worried about the color, but to be honest as long as it is tall that is all that matters.
will be havig a lot of grasses in front of it.

o

Some erect bamboos, that are a bit rare but beautiful, would be SINOBAMBUSA tootsik 'Albostriata'(10F) and SEMIARUNDINARIA yashadake 'Kimmei'(0F) or S. fastuosa(-5F). All grow maximum height of 25 to 30 feet.

Other bamboos are PSEUDOSASA japonica aka ARROW BAMBOO' and several of it's varietues.(0F) A bit more common, but may only grow to 15 feet in your area.

Now, PHYLLOSTACHYS varieties. There are many many of the Phyllostachys that will do well in your area, but most lean outward somewhat, but are they are more common bamboos.

Click HERE for a look at most of the Phyllostachys varieties.

I grow several varieties of Phyllostachys, and I've never had one reach it's maximum listed height here, so you may look for one that grows taller than you want to allow for this.

Kt

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here