Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dividing or Transplanting

Posted by msulli2472 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 30, 07 at 15:30

I have, what I believe to be, some clumpimg bamboo. I reaaly like the way it is growing and I want to divide it so that I can create a screen between my house and my neighbors.

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Can I do this through the use of cuttings?

I am really a newbie with bamboo so any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dividing or Transplanting

How big are the clumps? If they are large you may want to divide them. You can cut though the clumps with a chain saw or saw zaw if they are large enough.Then get them out with a shovel. Cutting of clums or canes that are a year or two old may work.
Frank

o
RE: Dividing or Transplanting

Honestly it depends on the how much work you are willing to put into dividing the clump. Even large, open clumpers can take a few hours of work by more than one person to divide.

As for propagating it, there are different methods that work for different species. If you had some pics of your boo it might be easier to tell you what method to try. The two most common methods are using single node culm cuttings and whole culm burial, but again not all bamboos will take root this way, and either way it will be a few years for the cutting to reach a sizable screen height.

If you are wanting instant screen you might want to look into purchasing some larger divisions.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Bamboo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here