Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trimming Bamboo tops?

Posted by meixue 10 CA Bay Area (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 11 at 15:44

Hi, I am in the process of researching which bamboo to purchase to keep in pots in my backyard for a privacy screen.

I was hoping for the best of all worlds: the ability to grow bamboo in large pots with varieties that produce good quality shoots for eating but that don't grow too tall.

I read that Giant Timber bamboo has the best edible shoots but I only want the screen to be aroung 20 feet tall. If I purchase and pot up some taller growing varieties would the bamboo survive/do ok if I chopped of the tops so that they stay at ~20 feet tall. Will this cause them to grow bushier? The location gets pretty much full sun all day. My neighbors windows run all along my 25 foot fence and they do not ever close their shades so I really do need the privacay screen. I'd probably need 5-6 well spaced pots to fully screen the area.

thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trimming Bamboo tops?

Unless you have really huge pots, even large timber bamboos aren't likely to grow much more than 20'. Bamboo in pots won't get nearly as tall as in the ground. And again, unless you have really huge pots the size and number of shoots you'll harvest are hardly worthwhile. If you chop off the tops, most varieties will get bushier at the top branches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here