Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buddah belly,does anybody grow it in doors?

Posted by randytootall 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 16:29

GOT A GOOD DEAL ON BUDDAH BELLY, I CANT GROW IT OUTDOORS IN OUR 5/6/ ZONE SO IM TRYING TO GROW IT INDOORS.HAVE YOU HAD ANY LUCK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buddah belly,does anybody grow it in doors?

Absolutely :-) Outdoors in various planters when weather permits... then check them closely for bugs ect...before bringing them inside. Near a good sunny window and you should be fine. I have every size from half gallon to 25 gallon planters... and 3 field divisions out in the yard that I'm hoping will het hardier as time goes on... this will be the first frost for the ones in the ground...so time will tell.
Blessings,
CJ

o
RE: buddah belly ,questions

I have bought some seeds of this bamboo a while back, I kept the plants in the same pot but they were in a room that was bit too dark ,I think. I now put the pot in front of a better lit window but I wonder if I should cut down some of the thin and long stems so they can grow some shorter and stronger stems.
When I bought the seeds it said you don't get the bulbous stems if they get too much food ,does that mean no feeding and only rainwater? And when replanting should I put it in peat and not in normal medium?
I never grown bamboo before so I don't really have a clue, I always assumed that bamboo like normal grass would grow like weeds.

o
RE: buddah belly,does anybody grow it in doors?

Water deprivation is the biggest factor in my opinion in creating more pronounced morphing culms. I wait till the leaves fold up like a taco before soaking... my 5 gallon planters get water once a week in the 90s ...unless it rains... then I add a week to that. 10-10-10 pellet fert maybe every 3rd month... not alot... mix it in the top inch of soil and thats it. No need to clip off the whip shoots... as those serve a good purpose in photosynthesis / storing energy as it matures and gets ready to produce larger culms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here