Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No new shoots Hawaiian Gold Bamboo

Posted by tileguybythesea none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 17:52

Hi,
New member here. Thanks in advance for any help.

I planted a healthy cutting from a 40 foot Hawaiian gold timber bamboo, around 6 or seven years ago. Since that time, it has only produced new shoots a grand total of 2 times. Two new shoots each time. Other than this problem, the plant is healthy.

I have black bamboo and mexican weeping bamboo, and they both do great.

For some background, we live along the coast in Los Angeles, so it's generally not very warm. Our house is built in sand, but I dug out quite a bit and planted the bamboo in soil. I water the plant quite a bit, using water from our koi pond, so I'm assuming it's nutrient rich. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No new shoots Hawaiian Gold Bamboo

Is it getting too much water...staying constantly wet?

Kt

o

I do not think it's getting too much water. Because the soil is sitting on sand, the drainage is really quite good. I haven't noticed that it stays wet all the time.

And to clarify a bit, I've tried less watering for extended periods of time, and only in the last two years, have I watered more frequently, maybe two to 3 times a week, during the warmer weather.

o

What exact specie is Hawaiian Gold? Runner or clumper?

If it is the Bambusa Hawaiian, then it needs a lot of warm weather and well drained soil to do the best. Cooler temps, particularly at night, will make growth very slow and even then the plant probably won't reach it's maximum size. Nights in the 70's are OK, but below that, the plant growth slows and/or will be stunted.

Kt

o

I do not know the exact species, but it is a clumper.

This summer has been warmer than usual, but we're talking about a few weeks of getting into the 80's, with nights maybe around 70.

It's more typical, in the summer, that the high temp. is in the 70's, and the lows down into the 60's.

So maybe it's just a matter of having planted the wrong type of bamboo for our climate. We have had a good run of higher than normal temperatures, but I'm wondering if it's too late in the season to see any new shoots.

o

Clumpers generally do most of their heavy shooting starting in late June through October here.

If a bamboo such as Hawaiian has a low temp rating of 30F, then it generally needs higher temps to do it's best.

I wouldn't give up on it yet.

Does it have yellow culms with green stripes?

Kt

o

Yes, it's yellow with green stripes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here