Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncheather_gw

moso bamboo in eastern nc (wilson)--you dig

ncheather
13 years ago

I have about 10 poles of Moso Bamboo as well as numerous rhyzomes left. Please read up on bamboo and containment so that you know what you are getting.

Please note that this is an extremely difficult plant to dig before you start. An appointment is needed so that I can shut the dogs up (please do not let the dogs out or attempt to pet the dogs).

The mother pole will need to be cut to under 10Â tall and staked once it is planted (the top that is cut off can be used as the stake) so that it can support its own weight in the first couple of years because bamboo has a different root structure than many other garden plants). Please research bamboo on the internet so that you understand how it will grow for you in the next year (first it puts up small shoots) and how to contain it. Moso grows in sun or shade. If you are going to put this in a sunny area this time of year, please be prepared to keep it watered and care for it in the heat as it will have a reduced root structure.

Also, this bamboo stand is currently contained and has a tight root structureÂa sawzall, if you have one, is highly recommended (ours has brokenÂnot by bamboo!) WITH REPLACEMENT BLADES to reduce your labor.

Phyllostachys heterocycla cv pubescens, also known as P. edulis, and more popularily known as Moso. One of the largest timber bamboos, a mature grove of moso is simply spectacular and breathtaking to be in! Soaring to heights of about 75 feet and 7 inches in diameter, it truly is a very impressive specimen. A cold hardy runner surviving temps to about 9 degrees F, however, it really reaches it's maximum potential in the Southeastern US. Some say Moso bamboo is hard to establish and needs lots of water, acidic soil and a high humidity to reach it's maximum potential...might be the reason why it does so well in the Southeastern US.

Considered by some to be the most beautiful bamboo in the world, Moso bamboo it is the most cultivated bamboo in China and Japan. It's shoots are excellent eating and the culms are used in amny forms of construction, from building houses to the scaffolding used to build skyscrapers. Moso bamboo gives a instant classic oriental look, and when I think about the Orient I think about the huge groves of Moso bamboo that have graced the big screen in movies like Crouching Tiger/Hidden Dragon.

Heather

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz