Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardener1_gw

New bamboo ID please?

gardener1
11 years ago

I just picked up 2 new species today. I need some help with ID. One I know is a Nigra form just not sure which one. The culms don't turn all the way black they look more brown and very dull looking. Not splotchy just dont turn all the way. And the other boo has many branches at the nodes just like arundinaria gigantea but it has ugly variegated leaves just like white streaks throught the leaves. It has very short branches and in the mature grove the tallest canes was about6 to 7 ft tall and about 3/8 in. in diameter. I will get some pics here as soon as the settle down and the leaves flatten back out. Thanks for your help.

Comments (15)

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is one pic. I'll post another as soon as I figure out how to do more than one.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here's another.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Some people think the variagation is beautiful...personal preference I guess.

I can't tell from the photos, but that does not look like bamboo to me. Can you post some pics of the culms(canes) and a pic of the whole plant?

Kt

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More pics these are of the branching structure. I am very sure its bamboo it was purchased at the cincinnati Zoo. It looks just like arundinaria gigantea except it has variegated leaves.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

canes or culms.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

branches. I like most variegated bamboo, but I dont like this kind of variegation.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kt I hope this helps its hard to get a descent pic cause I gotta get some better divisions these dried out bad on the way home. next time I will pot them up right away. And thanks for your input.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

gardener1-
    It would help a lot if you could provide better pictures. If you don't have a camera you can manually focus, put your hand or a piece of paper right behind a culm so that the camera will focus on that distance rather than focusing on something else...like your car.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Yes, it looks really dehydrated, but looks similar to my Bambusa glaucophylla yet it also resembles(from your pics) A. gigantea or even P. japonica, without the variegation of course.

Better pics would be helpful.

Kt

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kt I'll check out some pics of the bambusa glaucophylla. Yeah When I go back to the grove I'll get some better pics of some that arent dried out. Thanks again my friend.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great Idea Kudzu9 I'll try that as soon as I get some time and repost more pics. Thank You sir.

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kt looks just exactly like mine and the parent grove. I think you are correct. It's strange how these rare species are showing up all over the place. There are alot more people than I thought growing bamboo and most of them have no clue what they are even growing. I'll still post more pics of the parent grove as soon as I can get there its about 40 miles away from my home. In felicity Ohio. I live in Alexandria KY. Thanks Again to Kt and Kudzu9.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Just so you know, if you do have Bambusa glaucophylla, it is not very cold hardy and will need protection in Winter to keep it from freezing back if you are in Ohio.

So, you still may have something different.

Kt

• gardener1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This came from a grove with many, many canes in it so it almost has to be a hardy bamboo. our temps get to -5 F. And it originally came from the Cincinnati Zoo. I guess I need to take a trip to the zoo and look around.

• kentuck_8b
    11 years ago

Take a look at some of the Pleioblastus, possibly P. shibuyanus 'Tsuboi'. or P. simonii 'Variegatus'.