Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flattie

New Black Bamboo - when will it start growing?

flattie
16 years ago

I just got a black bamboo shoot off ebay. The shoot had roots and some green is showing through where it is not totally black. However it had no leaves. I am fairly certain it is still alive. When (and where) can I expect to see signs of new growth? How wet should I keep the soil? It is out of direct sunlight - is that OK? Any tips on growing bamboo would be appreciated as I am new to this type of plant.

Comments (6)

• prettyphysicslady
    16 years ago

It took about 3 months before I got a new shoot. I did get a couple of leaves on mine before then.

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

flattie-
    If it's a new shoot you may have trouble keeping it alive, unfortunately. Typically when buying bamboo you should get it from a reputable nursery where it will be a potted root mass with one or more mature culms and leaves. I've been growing bamboo for years, and have had limited results trying to get a new plant from a piece of rhizome. Many of the people selling on eBay sell pieces of rhizome and new, vulnerable shoots to people who aren't very familiar with bamboo and how it grows. I'm not saying it won't survive, but, if it does, it could take anywhere from a month to more than a year or two to show growth. The shoot you have may be too young and traumatized to grow much more. If you want to get bamboo at reasonable prices, email me and I can refer you to a couple of places where you can get a healthy, already-leafed-out plant. I'm not trying to discourage you, just providing some unfortunate truths. Good luck, in any case.

• flattie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. Kudzu9 I am not sure how to get in touch with you by email?

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

flattie-
    Click on "My Page" and then click on "Send me an email."

• marvin134
    16 years ago

Hi Flattie,

I'm glad I found your post. I am in exactly the same position you are: I bought rhizomes from two different sellers on ebay. The first (Golden Bamboo) would not grow, even after the seller sent me another, and then another. No luck. I blame myself for that, I guess, but I don't know what I did wrong. Other stuff is growing in our yard.

Then I bought another one, "Phyllostachys Meyeri," and it does not appear to show any signs of growth after 4 weeks. I asked the seller how long it would possibly take to show "any" sign of growth, but received no answer. I dug it up, and it has not one single new root, shoot, or any sign of any growth at all. It's brown now, and used to be lighter in color.

Is there any chance this rhizome could still grow, I wonder?

Marvin

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

marvin-
    My response above applies to your situation as well. Buying rhizome on eBay is a good way to enrich the seller and a lousy way to try to grow bamboo. It's possible that the rhizome could grow, but I wouldn't count on it. You just can't take any old piece of rhizome, particularly if it's dried out at all, and expect to get a plant from it. It needs to be fresh and moist, have the right type of root structure, and the right conditions...and then maybe you'll get some growth. If you really want bamboo, get a plant and save yourself the time and disappointment.