Posted by old2rose 6 (pbbp@whipmail.com) on
Tue, Aug 11, 09 at 21:13

Seeking seed or Rhizome

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted Robert Young Bamboo

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 2:04

You won't be able to get seed as Robert Young is not flowering and may not in our lifetime. Are you sure Robert Young will survive in your state? It's only hardy to about 0 degrees F.

o

I think that may be one of the few.It seems to be kind of rare,and I don't
know much more about it than that it does die if in the negative farenheit
and can grow to be very large.

o

This is a nice bamboo. Love the sulfur yellow culms. They also don't seem to spread nearly as aggressively or widely as P. aurea (golden bamboo). In an average zone 7 Winter, they show no leaf burn--compared to Black bamboo which do show some. If you're closer to zone 6B than 6A (in other words a milder 6), you should be okay, especially after the grove gets going. Exposure and wind protection matters greatly in your zone though. I believe I had originally ordered mine from a bamboo nursery in the Pacific Northwest.--Don't remember spending a lot for it. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here