Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fargesia Scabrida in zone 9b

Posted by MarinaSF 9b (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 22:27

My new house has a small back yard with a 20' wide concrete patio that is 2 ft from the back fence. I want to put in a privacy screen that will grow 9'- 12' tall.

I'm looking into clumping bamboos and it looks like fargesia scabrida would be perfect. I can plant them every 5 feet along the fence but they will only have 2' in depth.

2 Questions:
Will 2' be enough space?
If I buy a 2 gallon container that has 4 culms can I divide them before planting?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fargesia Scabrida in zone 9b

I planted a several gallon F. scabrida about 8 years ago in Zone 8 and it has grown very well. It is a bushy clump which is about 2' at the base, and about 6' in diameter at about chest height. However, it is only about 6' high and I doubt whether it will get to be 9'-12' high. You might want to consider another Fargesia that has a more upright form and is known to get taller. Your amount of space is probably ok, but you will need to take divisions off it a number of years hence to avoid it looking squashed up against the fence as it slowly expands its rhizomes outwards.

As far as dividing a 2-gallon plant, you might get away with splitting it in two, but any more than this could result in a bunch of dead divisions, and in any case dividing such a small plant will likely set it back several years.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 16:57

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here