Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Boo in Central Florida...

Posted by jetstream Z9b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 24, 06 at 22:42

There was another thread mentioning black boo in CF, so I thought I'd pick it up here...

Deb...I'm assuming your boo is Bambusa lako...a clumping tropical black boo. I'm not sure how big it was when it was planted, but it's going to take several years of growing to get 2 inch culms. Just make sure it gets watered regularly...2 to 3 times a week if you don't get an inch of rain like you probably did today. Mulch it heavily...several inches and fertilize it on a regular basis...every other month in the warm growing season and skip a month in the winter. Use a decent quality high nitrogen lawn fert...with lots of minors. Lesco at the depot is a good brand. Use compost under the mulch if you have that too.

...it isn't like youv've planted a "black and the beanstalk" kind of plant and you're going to wake up in the middle of a boo forest. It takes time and patience...keep it happy and you'll be rewarded...Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Boo in Central Florida...

...boingggg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here