Return to the Bamboo Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Shoots! P.Nuda

Posted by sirhidesingrass Michigan (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 23:43

So at the beginning of the summer I had ordered some P.nuda. I have been watering it keeping the ground moist and lightly fertilized all summer and the plant filled out but stopped growing new shoots on the main plant. I left for a friends wedding for almost a full week to come home to find two new shoots about a foot or so away from the main, and about 2 feet tall and looking GREAT! I'm going to post pics as soon as I charge the camera. Also i picked up a venus fly trap today, pretty excited to try my hand with those. Always found them interesting but killed my last one when I was younger =P.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Shoots! P.Nuda

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 14, 10 at 2:15

bump...

o

Here are some pictures of the p nuda now

main

small whip shoots

small whip shoots

large whip
Large shoots

large again

large shoot

The large shoot my gf didnt get a good pic of but its aboue 3 feet in length now. looking good! Hoping the root system is strong enough and ready for a michigan winter.

o

My Nuda got partially leaf burned at 4F so I don't think a plant that small is ready for a Michigan winter which I believe is zone 5. I would suggest at least a single tarp on it if not a blanket because Nuda doesn't really hold up to its reputed hardiness here. I didn't expect mine to get leaf burned, but it got half of its leaves fried which seemed to set it back this year.

Small plants are also more prone to winter damage so if you want it to put on size next year, you should probably add as much protection as possible.

I have no idea where they got the -20F cold hardiness from, maybe because rhizomes survived and re-sprouted at that temperature, but it is not even the hardiest bamboo out of my small collection of about 25 bamboos.

o

got ya... yea my plan was to pile up a bunch of mulch around it then bending it over and puting a tarp over it with some rocks to hold it down. im just trying to decide on how much mulch i wanna lay down. the area its in is enclosed by the house and fence so its not terribly windy.

o

i do appreciate the insight :)

o

Sounds like a pretty solid plan. I would like to hear of someone in zone 5 growing 30ft+ tall bamboos and really defying the climate zone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bamboo Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here